VDO computer - caveat emptor...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pete

...it seems. Bought an A4+ recently, basic 4-functions analogue wireless. Does appear to work OK for me except for one thing. It shuts down into power-saver mode after a few hours, and does not wake up even when you start riding. Unless you press a button that is. Problem is, I ride a lot at night when I can't look at the computer, even though it's in place on the bike, so I don't think to press the button at the start. So the odometer doesn't increment and my monthly tally is going to be way out...:smile:

I was about to complain, first to Wiggle, then to VDO, but I thought I'd better RTFM first, not wanting to make a fool of myself, and sure enough it says:
The wireless receiver of the A4+ will stay ON for another 3 hours to allow Auto-Start/Stop. In case of non-use, the receiver will be switched OFF.
So it's doing exactly what it says on the tin, I appear to be stuffed. If the receiver switches itself off, it can't start up even if it receives a pulse from the wheel. I'll just have to remember to press a button every time I start out. Unless someone knows of a workaround. What I want is, not to go into this sleep mode until a much longer time has elapsed - say, a week. Rather that and use the battery up a bit faster.

I know I should have stuck with wired, that's what everybody recommends. But I like the tidiness of the wireless option. I have a VDO 'C+' series, the more pricey one with a digital transmitter, on a different bike: this works fine and doesn't have this problem. But the "C+"s don't seem to be so easy to come by at the moment, so I went for the cheaper option. :tongue:

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I'm still having problems with an A8+ which has been giving me really random figures, the LBS is contacting VDO to see if my reelights may be causing the problem. This one also has to be turned on manually before each ride.

Dave5N

Über Member
I have a VDO C4

Never did like it. Found out today the battery went and it wiped all the odo, wheel settings etc and now it's stuck on KM.

And my 100K ride tonight (in the dark!) (for the century thread) has come in at just over seventy for similar reasons to those above. :sad::wacko:!:biggrin:

alfablue

Pete said:
I'll just have to remember to press a button every time I start out.
I have used VDO for years and more recently the wireless digital ones that need the button press. I really don't see what the fuss is, surely you would be resetting the trip counter before each trip anyway, and thus pressing a button?

Do your lights just stay on all the time too?

One very good thing with VDO is that they have a 5 year warranty, but I actually had a 7 year old analogue wireless unit that went t*ts up - sent it to VDO in Germany, no receipt, a week later they sent me a new C3 completely free of charge - now THAT is after sales service!

OP
OP
P

Pete

alfablue said:
...surely you would be resetting the trip counter before each trip anyway
Not on the commute (I know what the distance is, after all!), and not at night (can't see the computer anyway so why bother?). All I want is for the ODO to clock up, so I can see such things as how many miles my tyres have done etc. etc... But if there isn't a workaround, never mind, I'll get used to it. I don't think I have any other technical issues, but I'll bear in mind what's been posted here. Thanks all.

Tynan

Veteran
nice to know how fast you're going sometimes, journey time sometimes, average speed sometimes

mine is still on the old wrecked bike but I'm thinking of moving it to the junker as I'm sticking in some seriously fast trips lately and I'm a wondering how fast I'm going

OP
OP
P

Pete

Well, I've had it in place for two or three weeks now and it's been mostly OK apart from these one or two niggles (another one is, to reset the trip, you need to press two buttons, awkward when riding). One function I miss is the trip time, which I had on my old wired (not-VDO) one. The new one is the very basic 4-functions, and I assumed that meant speed, odo, trip distance, and trip time. Not so: instead of trip time the fourth function is an ordinary time-of-day display. Anyone thinking of buying this one, take note.

alfablue

The A4+ is very basic, the C series start at 10 function for the C1 (I got a C3 for just £8, new on ebay, for my friend, very happy with it).

OP
OP
P

Pete

Ahem. Seems I spoke too soon.

This morning, which was fairly frosty, it was playing up. On the commute, it was showing between 0mph and 4mph, never went higher than that. As I've said before, I know I'm slow, but not that slow! On my lunchtime spin, when it was much warmer, it functioned OK. There's nothing in the leaflet about environmental limits, and anyway a slight frost is hardly extreme conditions! Oh well, I suppose it'll have to go back after all.

mr Mag00

rising member
at the risk of hijacking a thread, i have a problem with a vdo c1 digital wireless. it only seems to receive data when it is out of the handle mount, i have taken to covering the small metal pins in the handlebar mount, surely that cannot be right? any answers?

alfablue

weird! Does your solution work? They do say about having the computer on the same side of the wheel as the transmitter, is that the case? I have just tested mine off the mount and it works just the same so I don't think the contacts are necessary to its function, but it is weird if they appear to prevent it working!

mr Mag00

rising member
it does seem to work, covering the pins. I mounted the mount on the handle bar stem. when the pins are uncovered it doesnt register at all speed or anything, remove it and hold in hand and its fine, i ride up and down the road with it in my hand :biggrin:

It never really has seemed to work properly, i bought a new mount for second bike and hoped that would solve the problem, but no.

mr Mag00

rising member
just a small update it works when i ride with no hands, not that one would advocate such practice, but weird anyway!

does no one have any ideas?

Top Bottom