Vegetarian Christmas lunch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
My first non meat eating Christmas and I need to buy (or possibly make if quick and simple) something to go with all the trimmings (excluding stuffing and pigs in blankets).
Any suggestions? Cost not a particular consideration. I'm not keen on mushrooms if a dominant flavour and lots of things seem to be fungus based. Also, no shortcrust pastry (other varieties acceptable as long as laced with lots of butter). Peppers don't agree with me either!

I do eat fish and seafood and have been looking at lobster etc, but I'm not sure it'll go with roasties, sprouts etc! Also, Boxing Day likely to be salmon

All supermarket chains accessible (other than Lidl and Aldi)

What've you seen?

Last edited:

Slioch

Guru
I was looking at the M&S website at their Xmas food, and there was quite a few veggie options which might give you some inspiration. A bit pricey though, as you'd expect.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I was looking at the M&S website at their Xmas food, and there was quite a few veggie options which might give you some inspiration. A bit pricey though, as you'd expect.
Price isn't really an issue...in years gone buy I've bought the turkey (£50+)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
How many people are you doing veggie for and how much spare space do you have in the oven?
Just me
Probably not that much, it may need to go in after the meat comes out to rest. The oven is a smaller single but cooks hot

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just me
Probably not that much, it may need to go in after the meat comes out to rest
I would fall on my sword and go for a simple M&S style ready meal, that way you have one less thing to worry about whilst looking after your guests and sorting the other meals. Then pick another day for something special for yourself. Something simple that avoids peppers and shortcrust pastry could be https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-vegan-sweet-potato-bean-stew/848196-673105-673106 (sorry it does contain mushrooms)

On the one occasion that I cooked a vegetarian Christmas dinner, I used all the same ingredients as the traditional one, but obviously omitted the meat.

I had potatoes, boiled and roasted, Brussels sprouts, roast parsnips, mashed Swede, homemade bread pudding and stuffing, a vegetable stock, fried shallots, roasted carrots, and boiled broccoli and cauliflower.

A veggie Christmas pudding followed accompanied by brandy butter, custard and single cream.

If/when we're invited to family or friends, we eat everything they serve us except for the meat.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I would fall on my sword and go for a simple M&S style ready meal, that way you have one less thing to worry about whilst looking after your guests and sorting the other meals. Then pick another day for something special for yourself. Something simple that avoids peppers and shortcrust pastry could be https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-vegan-sweet-potato-bean-stew/848196-673105-673106 (sorry it does contain mushrooms)
I'm not hosting, I am a guest :biggrin:
Cook do a nut roast, may well go for that or some sort of Wellington if I can't find one that isn't mostly mushroom or made with vegan pastry

https://www.cookfood.net/menu/christmas/vegetarian-dishes/nut-loaf/

Last edited:
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
On the one occasion that I cooked a vegetarian Christmas dinner, I used all the same ingredients as the traditional one, but obviously omitted the meat.

I had potatoes, boiled and roasted, Brussels sprouts, roast parsnips, mashed Swede, homemade bread pudding and stuffing, a vegetable stock, fried shallots, roasted carrots, and boiled broccoli and cauliflower.

A veggie Christmas pudding followed accompanied by brandy butter, custard and single cream.

If/when we're invited to family or friends, we eat everything they serve us except for the meat.
There'll be all of that but I'll want some protein too
I expect the Xmas pud is vegetarian (but I'm not worried if not, will still eat)

Top Bottom