Vegetarian Christmas lunch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
This is off a menu we were looking at for a black tie event (if it gives you any ideas)

Roasted butternut squash and thyme risotto with parmesan and toasted pine nuts.

Red onion marmalade and goats cheese Filo (substitute potatoe?) with sweet and sour veggies

leek, mushroom and goats cheese strudel with sweet red pimento sauce

Baked spinach, tomatoe and Feta cheese filo triangles

Pea and Mint risotto

Mushroom and Walnut bourgignon with cauliflower mash and greens.

personally I'd go for a mushroom risotto every time

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Im not sure a risotto is Xmas lunch with trimmings though (esp a mushroom one)!

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
This nut roast is our go to. Simple, easy to pre-prepare and utterly reliable. Oh, delicious too, obviously. And great served cold with pickles on Boxing Day.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Fair point. In which case I'd do a roast turkey with all the trimmings, but have veggie gravy and something to replace the turkey. Possibly meatloaf made with Quorn mince
That's my thinking with some sort of nut roast, Wellington or pastry thing
Shop bought is likely as I'm working up until Xmas Day (and I'm not much of a cook)

Last edited:

woodbutcher

Veteran
Weirdly I've just gone off the taste, texture and smell of meat...it's nothing to do with having a conscience :whistle:
Coincidentally, so have l . Now l find that every vegetable has its own vey distinct taste and texture . And if you ever need to reassure yourself that you are doing the right thing just take a look at the Netflix film called The Game Changers ( who would have guessed that Arnold Schwarzenegger is vegetarian) and he is not alone by any means ^_^

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Coincidentally, so have l . Now l find that every vegetable has its own vey distinct taste and texture . And if you ever need to reassure yourself that you are doing the right thing just take a look at the Netflix film called The Game Changers ( who would have guessed that Arnold Schwarzenegger is vegetarian) and he is not alone by any means ^_^
I’m still eating beasts of the deep but only 2-3 times a week

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'll let you off if not got one locally. I don't care about shopping, in, grab, out, faster the better, plus it's a nightmare going the 1 mile to Morrisons, and it's easier going in the opposite direction to my local Aldi.
Every other supermarket is quicker around here because they have self service checkout not just 1 or 2 tills open with massive queues and dozy staff (my experience of Lidl and Aldi in the past). Plus tiny carparks

I make these regularly, and I'm *not* a veggie :laugh:

Filo parcels stuffed with roast butternut squash, puy lentils, feta cheese, roast garlic and sage.

Easy to prepare ahead, then just pop into a hot oven for 20 mins until the pastry is golden. Best way is to roll them like spring rolls. Time can be saved by using canned lentils, and buying the pre-chopped chunks of squash.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Last year Iceland did a nice parsnip tart - I think it was in puff pastry rather than shortcrust.

Co-op food magazine has some nice looking recipes in at the minute - I made veggie toad in the hole on Sunday.

Top Bottom