Vegware

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Catering worker here ^_^
We switched to Vegware, which is a brand of disposables that claims to be totally compostable, a few years ago.
It's true Vegware is more expensive than plastic ware.
Because I'm the curious sort, I took an assortment of Vegware dispo home, put it in the compost bin.
Result: over 18 months later, the stuff was still as new in the compost bin, while the rest of compostable material in it was well rotted.
I went to read the labels on the Vegware boxes, it can only be composted in special, industrial recycling centres.
This year I took up organic gardening, so, as an experiment, I took various Vegware home to use as seedling starters.
Very worrying, none of the seeds planted in these pots germinated, they made the compost barren, while I had 100% success in plastic yogurt pots and the likes.
From a consumer point, the Vegware lids are dangerous, as they tend to melt with high temperature drinks like tea and black coffee.

I did exactly the same - put it in the compost. Two years later, still good as new. It is all BS.

classic33

Leg End Member
Most can't be composted, in your lifetime at least. Manufacturers say from five years upwards, but they don't really know how long it'd take.

Also only really suitable for cold drinks. Hot drinks "melt" them.

Top Bottom