Vehicle Speed in Village

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Wasn't sure if to put this in here or just General Chat, I'm sure this issue is not specific to just our village & suspect it is widespread through the country with the lack of Police resources.

Coming back into the village on Monday afternoon (in the car) I slowed to the 30mph just after the sign is a very slight bend/kink then a 1/4 straight with a slight up gradient as soon as I was around the bend/kink I was overtaken by the car behind, don't think he's slowed down from the 50mph we were doing.

Out on the bike this morning, came down Church Lane to where it joins the main village road, two cars came past, about 100 yards further on is one of those signs that shows the speed, they registered 38 & 43 respectively.

As said I'm pretty much sure this isn't just a local problem, but has anyone had any experience of the community speed initiatives, where villagers borrow a radar gun & setup a speed check?

Sharky

Guru
I was caught by local residents once, with their portable speed gun. Wasn't going at a very high speed, but I must have exceeded the 30mph limit. Just got a letter in due course, reminding me to keep to the 30 limit. No threat of fines or endorsements, but a timely reminder to be more vigilent. They probably don't have the authority to issue penalties.

midlife

Guru
Community speed watch did our village. Caught a few. However stupid car parking on pavements much more of a hazard but ignored by speed watch and plod.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Attachments

• IMG_20220808_173617.jpg
    IMG_20220808_173617.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 2

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Some, but to finally get some definitive information rather than the highly subjective views of our residents we installed speed monitoring strips at the entry/exits to the village.

Message was that the overwhelming majority of road users were very respectful of the 30 limit - indeed the average was c25. Yes there were some outliers, but notwithstanding that data we're putting VAR units at the other two entrances (we already have them on two, and they are perceived to be highly successful).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

VAS. Vehicle Activated Speed signs ?

Ah we have them already they are used as a game, apparently it's widely known & proven they don't register above 89MPH

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Community speed watch did our village. Caught a few. However stupid car parking on pavements much more of a hazard but ignored by speed watch and plod.

Found their page supported by Leicester Police by the looks of it, I'll see it Nottinghamshire Police are interested, might be a pet project for the Police Commissioner to get her teeth into.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
VAS. Vehicle Activated Speed signs ?

Indeed - my bad.

Speedwatch is a right pain to set up, and very heavily regulated, too - at least our investigations indicated so. The more effective the two signs we have is a 'countdown' one which registers maybe 100m out and counts down speed. We have put it right on the 30 point, which we kept being told is incorrect and against regulations.

...so we smile sweetly and leave it where it is 😊

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I've seen the community speed watch in a couple of Leicester villages, I once suggested to them that there was no way they were going to catch me speeding up hill, but if they went to the bottom I was happy to turn around and give it a go the other way.

Top Bottom