Vehicle Tax

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I received my V11W reminding me that my vehicle tax was due on the May 1st and it would cost me 165 pounds for 12 months. When I went on line to renew it, the price was 180 pounds so which is right?
It said the Direct Debit will be paid on May 15th for 180 pounds although I will be legal from May 1st of course.
I know the Exchequer put up the vehicle tax in the last budget but I thought it only applies to new vehicles and not cars purchased last year?

CXRAndy

Guru
I received my V11W reminding me that my vehicle tax was due on the May 1st and it would cost me 165 pounds for 12 months. When I went on line to renew it, the price was 180 pounds so which is right?
It said the Direct Debit will be paid on May 15th for 180 pounds although I will be legal from May 1st of course.
I know the Exchequer put up the vehicle tax in the last budget but I thought it only applies to new vehicles and not cars purchased last year?

What vehicle is it? Is it more than £40K with added VED for 5 years?

Alex321

Veteran
No, changes apply to all vehicles, though tax rates do depend on when the vehicle was first registered.

But there were no rates only applying to vehicles registered this year.

If your vehicle is a petrol or diesel car registered since 1st April 2017, then the rate is £180, unless it is subject to special rules (e.g. for having a list price over £40,000).

Drago

Legendary Member
Standard rate for post 01/04/2017 registered cars has just gone up from 165 to 180, as from 1st April. The rates are all on the  regjmes governments website.

Fortunately my car was registered 6 days prior to the cut-off so still costs nada. Your Dacia not so cheap to run now, eh, Gav?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Standard rate for post 01/04/2017 registered cars has just gone up from 165 to 180, as from 1st April. The rates are all on the  regjmes governments website.

Fortunately my car was registered 6 days prior to the cut-off so still costs nada. Your Dacia not so cheap to run now, eh, Gav?

Apart from that dreaded vehicle tax, it is still cheaper to run than many other cars. :okay:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Mine is now £180 and if I pay by DD its an extra £9.00 per year

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
A lot of EVs (most of the ones with good range) cost more than £40,000 new so will be in line for the "luxury" 5 year loading.

Top Bottom