Vehicular Cycling Reality

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Because it was pointless to get in front of one vehicle.

If you upload vids and put yourself on a pedestal, expect to be knocked off. If not, don't post your vids.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
Cycle lanes in the country generally do far more harm than good.
I agree. Some cyclists seem happy to accept that fact and cycle as it they are not there, valiantly asserting their right to the road. The lanes/paths still influence the behaviour of some motorists irrespective of whether you are in them or taking primary. Why not campaign for decent quality paths where they can work such as alongside national limit A roads and dual carriageways?

400bhp

Guru
I agree. Some cyclsits seem happy to accept that fact and cycle as it they are not there asserting their right to the road. The lane still influence the behaviour of some motorists irrespective of whether you are in them or taking primary. Why not campaign for decent quality paths where they can work such as alongside national limit A roads and dual carriageways?

No thank you.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
You didn't - when do people ever do?

Admit it - you loved it when youl told WVM he "was on camera".
Of course. You are perfect in all ways and so are in charge of knocking people off pedestals?

Criticize some aspect of my cycling rather than the driving of the motorist or the cycling environment.

You don't like my argument - fine. Argue against it then like Greg. Don't behave like a school child. You'll be telling me your dad/uncle/mate is bigger than mine next.

400bhp

Guru
Another one who can't take criticism.

Another one who is a sterotypical militant cyclist.

Another one on the ignore list. Well done.:thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I agree. Some cyclists seem happy to accept that fact and cycle as it they are not there, valiantly asserting their right to the road. The lanes/paths still influence the behaviour of some motorists irrespective of whether you are in them or taking primary. Why not campaign for decent quality paths where they can work such as alongside national limit A roads and dual carriageways?
it's a good, and often asked question. My honest answer... because I have no desire to ride on such paths down such routes. I'd rather get the NSL sections reduced in speed, with proper enforcement and find riding alongside an NSL dual carriageway utterly miserable, and life threatening at junctions/roundabouts.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
it's a good, and often asked question. My honest answer... because I have no desire to ride on such paths down such routes. I'd rather get the NSL sections reduced in speed, with proper enforcement and find riding alongside an NSL dual carriageway utterly miserable, and life threatening at junctions/roundabouts.
OK Greg. A honest answer. I appreciate that and respect your opinion. Thanks.

Will you indulge me a little thought exercise?

Ann is 46 and in general good health. She has just moved to Stannington to be closer to family after her husband of 25 years died suddenly. She has never driven and doesn't really know the area that well. She is a happy cyclist, often using her Raleigh Shopper to travel a couple of miles to the shops in the village where she used to live.

Recently, she met a lady called Rachel in the local community hall and they got on really well. Rachel has been on the phone and invited Ann for coffee in Morpeth "just a few minutes down the road" and Ann is keen to go.

Could you advise Ann the most direct route from Stannington to Morpeth and back on her bicycle?

*but* what annoys me about 'cycling infrastructure' and lack of joined up thinking is that there are a number of radial roads out from the city centre, and more than enough space to pick one and mark it with what I suppose you'd call a cycling highway and move cyclists off cheetham hill road

The trouble with that is all you are doing is getting the cyclists out of the way of WVM so his view that he owns the road is reinforced, his view that cyclists shouldn't be on the road is reinforced and he doesn't have to learn how to deal with driving with cyclists around. A triple own goal in trying to get drivers to learn to share the roads with cyclists.

GrasB

Veteran
That may well be the case (although I wonder how patient he will be and for how long before he squeezes through at some point?). But do you really think the occasional/irregular cyclist is going to enjoy/tolerate that kind of experience and will put themselves in a similar situation where it is likely to happen again? I don't.
In my experience with 3 people who I've taught how to use primary they have all said that they feel far more comfortable when riding & have far fewer terrifying incidences when they think someone is going to hit them. None of them seem to have mentioned the extra intimidation from getting hooted at. In short, your presumption doesn't stack up. All of them were occasional or regular short journey only cyclists.

... Or do you excuse his driving because I was not in primary?
Nothing excuses his driving, however if you were in primary it would have made it harder for him to make a dangerous overtake.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Could you advise Ann the most direct route from Stannington to Morpeth and back on her bicycle?

Why are you imposing "directness" as a condition on Ann's route choices? That's always coming up as if somehow any cyclist who has to travel 1/4 mile further than a car driver would self-combust with indignation as a result. You may as well ask me what is the most direct route between, say, Crawley and Brighton. It is there on the map, and on the ground, in all its sustrans supported glory. But I would not take it. I would not recommend it to anyone except the most time impoverished, and even then with the warning that, it is a safe, off carriageway route made deeply deelpy unpleasant by the passing traffic.

riding a bike is about 'fun'. Not speed. Not directness. The odd meander down a quieter route never killed anyone.

From the map Ann has are a number of alternative ways to get to Morpeth east and west of the A1 which are likely to be more enjoyable, and much more pleasant than riding the direct route so I'd, on paper, urge her to use one of them and explain it isn't about directness. It's about hearing the birds sing and the sheep baa.

As it is a thought exercise Rachel will ring Ann on learning she's had route planning advice from a southerner.

Howay bonny lass. Ya gannin we-ar? Man alive pet, he's gorra screw loose. Wos he sent tha doon thayre fower? Tha divvent want te gan doon the main rood, all thim loories gannin past ull me-eck tha head spin. Huse aboot I come ower and al show ya a reet canny way fa gannin ta Morpeth? Nee bother al see tha in a bit pet. Ta-ra.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
...riding a bike is about 'fun'. Not speed. Not directness. The odd meander down a quieter route never killed anyone.

From the map Ann has are a number of alternative ways to get to Morpeth east and west of the A1 which are likely to be more enjoyable, and much more pleasant than riding the direct route so I'd, on paper, urge her to use one of them and explain it isn't about directness...
So Ann has a de facto ban from using the A1? I thought it was all about asserting the right to use the road?

As you said earlier Greg: "Could you avoid that route, possibly but why should you if it is convenient to use it?....Can you ignore the crap infrastructure and ride in primary? Yes."

Ah! but not if it is the A1 or similar. I see. Some routes are the most direct - and a few want that for convenience and time - but cyclists cannot really use them can they?

Of course Ann could use the segregated cycle path that runs alongside part of the A1 joining up the other roads but that would be boring I suppose?

Ah well. It is after all a confusing situation.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Really. Which do you think had more effect on the number of cyclists in London. 7/7 bombers or cycling superhighways? I started cycle commuting in London in the 90's and the cycling levels there now were unimaginable then. Safety in numbers... gotta love those terrorists and the bomb dodgers they spawned.

IIRC the bomb-dodgers were little more than a blip on an already increasing trend. I think we can all agree that safety in numbers is just what we need, though.

Perhaps we could be a little less confrontational on this topic?