Veledrome ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Ok dont know if this is the right section but here goes.My mrs bought me a hours 'taster session' at the manchester veledrome.At its fast coming up on me and hate to admit im slightly apprehensive/nervous !! Has anyone had a go or got any tips.Its a long,long time since i rode a fixed/track bike.Any advice would be welcome

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Loads of tips in various threads over in the track cycling section

Most important: Have fun!
Second most important: Don't stop pedaling!

screenman

Legendary Member
The feeling you get after doing something that made you feel nervous before is normally better than you get from those that do not. Go for it, I will be doing the same next year as part of my 60th celebrations.

Have fun and do not forget to give us a write up.

I've done a few sessions there now and it is great fun.

Just listen to the coach at the start and do as he says, that way as long as he sees your listening and your competent, before you know it you'll have the run of the track.

Always shoulder check before changing lanes, (up or down), and keep aware that not everyone picks it up as quickly as others, and if your not used to riding fixed then take some time to get used to scrubbing your speed in preparation of stopping.

It's all common sense and the coach was very informative the first time I went, when you go back again just tell him you've been before and he'll let you on the track straight away IME.

A few guys on here organise track session at Manchester from time to time, so keep your eyes peeled in the RIDES section for any upcoming ones :thumbsup:

@colly tends to organise them IIRC and also going off THIS post from last year :thumbsup:

Last edited:

lesley_x

Über Member
I was pretty terrified beforehand tbh. It's scary but exhilarating all at the same time.

I found it quite difficult getting used to the fixed wheel, the learning curve is steep but quick. Do not stop pedalling!

I have to confess I found it quite challenging being kind of locked into one rudimentary position the whole time - chamois cream is your friend!

Try to get used to riding in the drops right away. You're a lot more stable and safe riding in the drops.

However that feeling of flying round the track defying gravity is so fun you'll be back for more - guaranteed! I completely screwed up my second accreditation session and haven't been back, I miss it!

bianchi1

Guru
I'm sure the coach will tell you this, but it's good to know that the banking is as extreme on the black line as it is right at the top. So most of the apprehension is in your mind.

Pedal good and quick and get up there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do not 'undertake' anyone - if you are going round someone, go 'over' them. Pedal into the bends and ease off on the exit. Don't death grip the bars either. I saw one lad that was very nervous and came crashing down. Watched him a few times and his back wheel would slip constantly on the banking - couldn't work out why that was happening other than nerves and maybe not pedalling through the bend.

bianchi1

Guru
Do not 'undertake' anyone - if you are going round someone, go 'over' them. Pedal into the bends and ease off on the exit. Don't death grip the bars either. I saw one lad that was very nervous and came crashing down. Watched him a few times and his back wheel would slip constantly on the banking - couldn't work out why that was happening other than nerves and maybe not pedalling through the bend.

Mostly happens when people don't sand down a new tub. A new tyre will slip at even a fast speed.

You only make the mistake once!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mostly happens when people don't sand down a new tub. A new tyre will slip at even a fast speed.

You only make the mistake once!

He was on a hire bike !!

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Thanks for all the replies,looking forward to it yet scared aswell ! Thanks for the tips,I've had to tie it in with a night away(condition of Mrs !!) So might be slightly hungover aswell when go following day.:wacko:

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Ok sure many have done it before so there not interested.Went on the "taster session" at Manchester Veledrome today and loved it ! Bit daunting at first,but the coach was great and relaxed you into it.You dont need to be Chris Hoy to get round and you can stop whenever you feel like(once you get used to the fixed wheel !) Cost was 12 quid with bike included and helmet,took my own. You can use your own shoes,but i hired a pair for a fiver.Only mistake i made was didnt take a towel as didnt know there are showers to use.Would recomend,cant wait to go again.

Top Bottom