Velo Brandes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve1733

Recently picked up a Ladies "Velo Brandes" bike. Results from Google show practically nothing about this make. Going off the decals on the frame it is/was manufactured in Germany and I must admit it's built like a Panzer tank. Anyone any information on this make.
Steve.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Have'nt heard of the brand, we get all sorts down here from Europe but never seen one of those. If it's built like a tank could be from the communist era for the proletariat. Tyres give you any clues, likewise the components?

OP
OP
S

Steve1733

Hi Guys,

Long time no post. I've been busy with one thing and another. Anyway, a bit more info on this bike. I'm convinced it's German going off the decals and the make of brake callipers. It's from 1977. The gear system is one of Shimano's early attempts at indexing. It has a solid cable that pushes and pulls the mech over a series of notches which line up with a corresponding cog. The system is called "Shimano Positron FH 400". There is also an integral lock on the seat post which is operated by a lever. When pressed a bar emerges and passes through the spokes of the rear wheel. That's about it really. See pic's.
Vello 2.jpg
Brakes.jpg
vello copy.jpg

Top Bottom