Velorbis Classic?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
dear god, stop it rotating

that looks rather gentile and gracious, your choice naturally, be sure to test ride is all

are you sure once you get started you won't something a bit more sporty? how old are you? a good LBS will keep a bike in running order for not much at all

Trillian

that looks like the kind of bike that will be happy cruising allong at above walking pace for not much effort with you really comfortable on it (assuming taste and fit on bike)

a flat bared road bike or even one with drops would be a quicker way of getting around, deraliur gears don't take too much looking after (the cables do stretch when new tho along with brake cables) depends how you ride, if you prefer using cycle lanes or just sticking with the road etc.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I can speak from a bit of experience on them as we used to handle the import and distribution in the UK for them.

They look nice (if you like that sort of thing) and are built well enough but weigh a tonne ! They did not seem to shift out the door that fast either.

snorri

Legendary Member
FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
They did not seem to shift out the door that fast either.
I could believe that, in the UK.;) , but over the channel it would not look out of place.
We do seem to have a thing for derailleur gears, naked chains and performance in this country which to my mind is quite unnecessary for commuting where the run might only be two or three miles.
I find the maintenance needed on derailleur to be a pia, sure I could pay to have it done, but it takes time getting to the lbs as well.
Have you looked at the Dawes Diploma and Graduate?

walker

very classic looking, and a very nice bike if you can keep it in top condition.

Good choice going for a single speed (it looks single, its not fixed is it?)

I would keep my eye for single speed bikes as long as you have no hills, as said above its a heavy bike, so will be difficult to get up hills.

whats your budget?

Keith Oates

Janner
If your commute is fairly short with no serious hills and you only want the bike for that or going to the local shops etc. then maybe it will be OK for you. However it's not one that I would want for longer and faster riding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lurifox

I have just bought a Velorbis Churchill Classic from The Old Bicycle Company in Essex http://www.theoldbicycle.co.uk/ and it ride amazingly. It has two drum brakes, freewheeling and a 5 speed Sturmey Archer hub. (The coaster brake version is only sold in Scandinavia). I was told that the chromolly tubing makes it 20% lighter than other steel bikes. I can definately recommend it to everybody who prefer style over speed!

OP
OP
phaedrus

phaedrus

lurifox said:
I have just bought a Velorbis Churchill Classic from The Old Bicycle Company in Essex http://www.theoldbicycle.co.uk/ and it ride amazingly. It has two drum brakes, freewheeling and a 5 speed Sturmey Archer hub. (The coaster brake version is only sold in Scandinavia). I was told that the chromolly tubing makes it 20% lighter than other steel bikes. I can definately recommend it to everybody who prefer style over speed!

Style over speed every time! I'm someone who uses a bike as a mode of transport, and the thought of having to wear special clothes or "safety" equipment to cycle is just anathema to me. I love the freedom and flexibility of just jumping on my bike and going whenever I want. Speed is unimportant. I'm not saying this should apply to evryone, but that's what suits me.

Top Bottom