Venus ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I have been intrigued by a remarkably bright...what I assumed was a satellite, NW and low, been visible for a couple weeks at least. Got my old birdwatching scope out and on maximum magnification, got a shaky but relatively clear view of what i assume is Venus in crescent, quite clearly crescent in shape.
Awesome to think you can see something so far away...

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Yep, that is Venus. 3rd Brightest celestial object in the sky. Venus is the cause for many a UFO sighting...

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Awesome to think you can see something so far away...
I had a glance at the sun the other day. I looked it up,wondering how long it'd take to get there,not that it's possible..obviously.

'The sun seems so close because we can feel its warmth and watch it ripen our tomatoes. But it's out there, w-a-y out there. Even in a commercial jet flying at 550 mph (885 kph) it would still take 19 years'.

Then you have to get back of course.:whistle:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had a glance at the sun the other day. I looked it up,wondering how long it'd take to get there,not that it's possible..obviously.

'The sun seems so close because we can feel its warmth and watch it ripen our tomatoes. But it's out there, w-a-y out there. Even in a commercial jet flying at 550 mph (885 kph) it would still take 19 years'.

Surely, 38 years of having to eat airline food is a high price to pay for a better suntan?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Then there's the 38 years of queuing for the bog,only to find someone's pissed on the seat to consider!
Michael O'Leary is now proposing that you have to ask "Miss" every time you "want to be excused".

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/12/ryanair-flights-resume-coronavirus-rules-july

After 38 years, she's going to get pretty bored with you. Her smiles might fade a bit. Actually, Ryanair staff are incapable of smiling. Ignore the previous sentence.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am not a star watcher but pick snippets of planet stuff while reading the internet.

Over the past couple of months I have seen Elon Musks skytrain and something like an eclipse with venus and the moon. Maybe someone could explain what that was.

I saw the Skytrain for 3 nights and must admit it is a thing to behold. If you want to imagine space travel, you need to see it. You can see why it is called the Skytrain. It looks like a row of carriages following each other.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
You can also see Mars, Jupiter & Saturn at different times of the year just by looking up if you know where to look.

About 4 years ago Saturn and Venus are both bright and visible close together for a while in the dawn light. Really good sight.

Jupiter is visible for a good part of the year from here.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Then there's the 38 years of constantly queuing for the bog,only to find someone's pissed on the seat to consider!

Can you imagine how many times the dolly trolley would come past ?

It is amazing to think we can see things like stars and other planets so far away , but i still can't find that 6mm bolt i dropped last week ^_^

mustang1

Legendary Member

Non-stop flight is it?

Top Bottom