Vertigo.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have experienced several episodes in past 3 weeks. Very scary. Doc prescribed anti sickness tablets and some Brandt-Daroff exercises (The exercises brought on a massive attack of Verigo and vomiting) and yesterday prescribed Betahistine dihydrochloride. Taking 3 per day. Had a minor wobble getting out of bed this morning. Doc thinks it could be associated with my Ringing Tinnitus which I have had since 1964. Dare not ride or drive the car. Any help gratefully received.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I'm sorry to hear this @Saracenlad

I've had lifelong tinnitus, and have twice had vertigo, which seemed to be associated with an ear infection once, and impending flu the other time. I have a clear memory of stepping out of bed and falling flat on my face, with no warning!

It's a horrible experience, but passed within a couple of days for me. I hope it passes quickly for you.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have horrendous tinnitus but thankfully, as far as I know I've never had vertigo although have passed out on a few occasions unexpectedly. Felt fine afterwards (except the hitting the ground bit) but as long as I drink plenty of water and eat well it seems to be kept at bay. Don't have any clue if it connected though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Not much help, but some hope. I had an attack while in work, back in the 2000's I was staggering round clinging onto the walls and being sick and generally looking like a drunk. One of my colleagues drove me to A&E while I was being sick in a bag - which I was very good of him. I then went home to bed for a few days. It subsided and went away completely. I was lucky that it didn't last as long as yours and was all over after about a week. I hope yours goes the same way.

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife gets it and she has a routine that can help ((i cant interpret what she does but it's laying on her side then lifting her head, turning etc etc). Apparently it's crystals in the inner ear or head, this exercise does something that relieves it for her. It's not a very good explanation but might give you something to research.

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife gets it and she has a routine that can help ((i cant interpret what she does but it's laying on her side thenlifting her head, turning etc etc. Apparently it's crystals in the head.(there may well be other reasons for vertigo)

Google the Epley Manoever...

OP
OP
Saracenlad

Saracenlad

My wife gets it and she has a routine that can help ((i cant interpret what she does but it's laying on her side thenlifting her head, turning etc etc. Apparently it's crystals in the head.(there may well be other reasons for vertigo)

Google the Epley Manoever...

That sounds like the exercise the doc gave me to do. Passed out and sick when I tried it.

Reactions: gbb

Fastpedaller

I went through similar for months - very horrible. Strangely when I rode the bike I never had a problem (thankfully) ........ the reason why appears below.
The GP (I and my Wife both had the same opinion) didn't believe me when I said "I get pain in my gut when I suffer the vertigo"
I had an attack in the middle of the night once, and my Wife called the ambulance. The paramedic said "he looks like a heart attack patient" and wired me up did 4 prints and said " strong heart, but we'll have to take him to hospital" all said as if I wasn't there :rolleyes:
Another attack one morning whilst eating breakfast - Wife phoned GP who said "we can't fit you in" so Wife said "you aren't taking this seriously, I'm bringing him anyway". At the GP I was told 'you look ok now' to which I replied "it's something to do with my digestion, once I was sick I improved" They just said 'inner eye - take anti dizzy pills. Then when I refused they said 'don't you want to get better?' and dismissed my desire to find out what was really causing it, not just mask the symptoms.
My Wife (in her wisdom) said "it's clearly digestion, why don't you go to a nutritionist?, which I subsequently did, and her first reaction on hearing the symptoms was "Dozey medics...... I bet a pound to penny it's lactose intolerance - come off milk straight away"
I've been ok ever since - strangely it doesn't show up in allergy tests.
When I rode the bike I just carried a water bottle and didn't eat anything - no problem!

Last edited:

Fastpedaller

In addition to the above.... GP said "it's probably Menier's disease"

gbb

Legendary Member
That sounds like the exercise the doc gave me to do. Passed out and sick when I tried it.

The YT video I watched warned you may feel temporarily worse, nauseous...and like you, my wide did have a similar experience. That said, it needs recognising there may be a negative ( and hopefully temporary) reaction...equally, it must help some.

simongt

Guru
Good that everyone understand the difference between vertigo which as I understand is a very unpleasant condition, and acrophobia; the fear of heights.
Many think that vertigo is the latter. :dry:

Fastpedaller

Good that everyone understand the difference between vertigo which as I understand is a very unpleasant condition, and acrophobia; the fear of heights.
Many think that vertigo is the latter. :dry:

Indeed - It's really irritating (to me anyway) when people say 'I got vertigo when I looked over! 'and then laugh - Anyone having vertigo really wouldn't laugh about it!
I also don't like height. This possibly came about when I was young and holding a window frame in place inside the upstairs bedroom of our house - my Dad was outside on a ladder at the time, and it scared me somewhat! He had no fear of heights, but I didn't inherit :smile:
Reminds me of the old joke " I'm not scared of heights, I'm just scared of falling"

geocycle

Legendary Member
You have my sympathy. I’m also a sufferer and it the most debilitating thing. ive had 3 or 4 bouts over the last few years. It takes different forms, the worst was triggered by lying down which set the room spinning, some milder doses have been more to do with walking. Sometimes it lasts a few days. Once it went on a few weeks. I’ve tried the exercises but they made me very sick. i try and avoid triggers such as rapid head movements, looking down for a long time, loud music, flashing lights, blowing my nose too much etc. Basically anything that can change pressure in ears or lead to dizziness. Good luck.

Top Bottom