Very close bus overtake (video)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
It's a shame that this happened, because before hand I'd always found the drivers of the company to be very patient both for me and some really bad, inexperienced cyclists which some drivers would have just cut up to get past - where as they just waited.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30g-8eubc2o

Emailed the company just to ask them to remind their drivers to give a bit more space and mentioning my previously very high opinion of them.

Second part is a must get past van...who didn't benefit at all from overtaking :biggrin:

D-Rider

Yeah - very close. I like the brief flash of your outraged expression reflected on the bus.

Good tarmac footage as well, BTW! :biggrin:

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
D-Rider said:
Yeah - very close. I like the brief flash of your outraged expression reflected on the bus.

Good tarmac footage as well, BTW! :eek:

Yeah, I noticed my face too :biggrin:. It was going up hill which is what I'm blaming for the tarmac...usually the footage is better, still, you get to see why my elbows are now bald :biggrin:.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
HeartAttack said:
Outside the UEA is always a nightmare, hence why I never ride Earlham Road/Watton Road area in anything other than primary

Good luck with the bus company

Yep. I usually am going down that hill, but I decided to go out on my loop route the other way today. It's only got a bit of that main road and other than that it is a really nice route!

Totally agree with using primary through Earlham road though, I do that on the way to work - mainly because there are soo many parked cars. If I was going down the hill in the video I would of kept a more primary position, but I wasn't really going that fast so I didn't want to. There was room for the cars, but the bus should have waited or not cut in so close at the end - that happened because there were cars coming down hill.

As for the bus company, I'm not really that bothered. It's the first bus incident I've caught on camera and the video shows just how close it was. The email really was just a friendly message to remind their drivers to give more space, rather than complaining about that particular driver.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Woah! A response from a bus company...in under 3 months - actually in under 24 hours!

I forwarded the clip onto the company by email, just asking for them to remind their drivers to give a bit more space as I've always found them to be some of the more patient drivers in the past. The incident didn't even happen this time yesterday, yet I've already had a response to my email.

Thank you for your email and apologies for the bus passing close last night. I will try to identify the vehicle (and then driver) from the clip as this is not something we expect from our drivers.
I know it's short, but notice, he actually says sorry (never had the word sorry or apologise in any response from other bus companies). I looked closely at the clip again, number plate is impossible to see but managed to see some sort of reference number on the back of the bus which I've forwarded to him.

Very impressed with them! Thank you Konect.

bryce

Scary 1st clip. I didn't see anything wrong with the 2nd one though - that kind of thing happens all the time - it's actually quite satisfying to roll past them 2 seconds later..!

Will1985

Über Member
Thomas - your cam is a bit wonky! I've often found them to be the better bus drivers too.

I had something very similar to the van bit yesterday (for those who know where I'm talking about) - I was riding along Riverside/Koblenz Avenue past Morrisons and took a very aggressive position going through the lights to move into the right hand lane. This wasn't good enough for the car behind who managed to overtake on my right and then immediately on the brakes as the traffic ahead started to move. I went round the bend on his right in the hatched area and sat 2 cars up all the way to Carrow Bridge.

Next bit was funny: he then passed me very close on Kings St/Carrow Hill just after the corner but had to stop for the pelican crossing further up. I pulled up kerbside just behind him but enough to be able to see through the passenger side window; we exchange glances while I'm trackstanding (on my road bike!). Not wanting to risk being pushed into the kerb again I waited for him to move off - lights flashed amber and then green but still no movement. 15 seconds into the green phase we still haven't moved as this driver is clearly waiting for me to pass up the inside. Car behind honks and he gives up. Couldn't resist a little chuckle.

Glad you got a positive response on the bus overtake Thomas. Last week when I was going 22.6mph in a 20 zone a bus came flying up behind me and was a bit miffed I had delayed him for -2secs, queue much beeping. It something I wouldn't expect of a representative of that company either. He then tried to squeeze into the bus stop when he realised his cab was only level with my rear wheel on the 3rd occasion he remembered which company he worked for and gave me more room.

The second clip although fruitless and sometimes annoying happens all the time; IMO the best thing you can do is cruise by them making them realise how fruitless it was.

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
bryce said:
Scary 1st clip. I didn't see anything wrong with the 2nd one though - that kind of thing happens all the time - it's actually quite satisfying to roll past them 2 seconds later..!

Yeah, second clip, obviously wasn't serious...just a pointless overtake and a lack of anticipation. It was more of a "fun" clip.

Will1985 said:
Thomas - your cam is a bit wonky! I've often found them to be the better bus drivers too.

I had something very similar to the van bit yesterday (for those who know where I'm talking about) - I was riding along Riverside/Koblenz Avenue past Morrisons

Yep, the camera is. I can't be bothered to fix it though...will do when home as I can just plug the camera into the TV. Adjusting it here, then filming a little bit, checking it, and so on is a pain at UNI. Other than when I'm staring at the ground it's only a little wonky. I will fix it when home - promise :biggrin:

From Morrisions, is that as if you're going up the hill past the petrol station to go into town? Once you've turned left towards town at the railway? I know roughly where you mean and I had a car cut me up there just to stop at the lights. Silly golf driver.

HLaB said:
The second clip although fruitless and sometimes annoying happens all the time; IMO the best thing you can do is cruise by them making them realise how fruitless it was.

I was going to clap at his distance but thought better of it and just smiled as I went past straight after :wahhey:. Very chuffed that I got a quick reply though!

OP
OP
thomas

thomas

the tank engine
Will1985 said:
Start at station, go round Morrisons, along by Carrow Road, over the river, follow road round to left. Basically the way out to Trowse.

ahh, I've not really been out that way. Furtherest out that way i've been is Morrisons :tongue:

magnatom said:
Very dangerous overtake! Well done on the response. Keep us posted if you hear any more.

Bollo said:
Good that the response doesn't look like the usual evasiveness and weasel words.

Yep, the fact it was the next day and he actually apologised makes all the difference and it didn't sound like the usual fob off.

Top Bottom