Very much a beginner!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Db86

Hiii all!

Brand new to the forum and cycling. I'm in need of a little help. I'm over weight, I weigh 16st and I want to get a bicycle (on the bike to work scheme) to help me lose it. I want to get a road bike but I don't know if this would be suitable for me with the weight I am.

Could any of you guys give me a bit of advice on if a road bike would be suitable please?

Thanks guys

Danny

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi Danny

There are loads of people who have started their cycling when they were more than 20 stone so I am sure you will meet with success. There are some members of the forum who can help - I think a forum member (@Salad Dodger) had a thread about choosing a bike recently, and you can try using the search function (top right) to trawl existing threads.

Good luck - this is a brilliant decision and you will soon feel amazing from cycling.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Welcome- that's really not overweight, there's plenty bigger people riding roadies than that- some of the manufacturers give a maximum weight use- so may be worth having a look at some of then (me thinks you'll be fine).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. You are certainly not too heavy to ride a bike, there are others on here who have started out much weightier. The cycling will help you get fitter but you will need to combine it with a heathy balanced diet. You would probably feel most comfortable with a hybrid bike which has flat bars and a fairly upright riding position.

Hello Danny and welcome to the forum. I hope you will find lots of good advice and encouragement here.

It wasn't me that started a thread about choosing a bike (though I may have contributed to someone else's thread). But speaking as a 6 foot 2 and 17 stone rider, I have never had a problem (so far... touch wood) with any part of a bike failing under my weight, not even mountain bikes being used on rough ground.

The 2 key things, in my opinion, are:
1) Do some research (plenty on here can give advice on road bikes, which are not my area of expertise) and buy a decent bike, don't be tempted by some cheapo thing from the local discount shop.
2) Ride it regularly. It's better to start with riding (for example) 2 miles every day, rather than just trying to do one 14 mile ride a week. As you get less self conscious about riding, and more confident with bike handling, and also start getting "bike fit" you will be able to add miles to your daily ride, and it's surprising how quickly you notice the improvements.

Best of luck!

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi @Db86 & :welcome: from the Peoples Republic of Mancunia.

Firstly, you have come to the right place for both encouragement & advice.

Please believe me when I say there are other cycling forums much less friendly.

I don't personally believe that you are so big as to need worry about cycling & there are plenty of stories from much larger guys/girls who have made the jump, both here & in magazines like cycle active & cycling plus.

@vernon has a particularly encouraging story & should be sought out for inspiration.

Any good quality road or Cx (cyclo cross) bike should fit the bill.

A cyclo cross bike might be better if you fancy the occasional route down a canal towpath or woodland trail etc as they are loosely speaking, beefed up road bikes with disc brakes (usually) & wider, more shock absorbant tyres (between 28/32mm as opposed to 23/25mm).

A good value/quality CX bike is the Boardman CX Team/Pro @ £999.

For quality & high spec for your $$$ look at Cube, Giant, Canyon, Rose, Ribble or Planet X.

For quality with less bang for $ look at Cannondale, Specialized, Trek & maybe Bianchi.

Orro are a new British brand worth a look in the quality/bang for $ department.

The most important thing is to get a bike that fits you correctly, as one that is uncomfortable will see lots of dust in the shed.

Enjoy your cycling & Best of British.

Last edited:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Hiii all!

Brand new to the forum and cycling. I'm in need of a little help. I'm over weight, I weigh 16st and I want to get a bicycle (on the bike to work scheme) to help me lose it. I want to get a road bike but I don't know if this would be suitable for me with the weight I am.

Could any of you guys give me a bit of advice on if a road bike would be suitable please?

Thanks guys

Danny

I'd not worry about being sixteen stone. I'd have to lose seven stones to reach your weight. I'm currently cycle touring in.eastern Europe and my eight had not got in the way of me completing 100km rides on a regular basis.

Most mid range road bikes will not be a problem. I've ridden everything from Raleigh racing bikes from the nineties through Dawes Galaxy tourers, hybrids and mountain bikes and steel frame bikes with hands built wheels. None of them have let me down.

Think carefully about what you might want to do with the bike e.g. tour and ´ make sure that it has real mounting points of you do.

Mudguards or the capacity to have them fitted is also a good idea. A wet arse is uncomfortable in wet weather.

On your first rides don't worry of you feel like you want to cough up your lungs and your legs are going to drop off. Things become more comfortable as you do more rides.

Don't count on losing weight on acquiring a bike. You have to reduce your calories moderately too. My love of pies and beer ensure that my weight stays constant. I'd hate to think.of v the weight gain if I stopped....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Danny,

Vernon beat me to it. Instead of an all out road bike have you considered something like a Dawes Galaxy. It has the road bike look but great for touring, commuting or shopping.

Steve

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
:welcome: - 3 years ago I read @gb155 's story in a magazine and went "if he can do that, I can". And did.

You're not too heavy for a road bike. I started out on a Ridgeback road bike because it didn't have the garish graphics and still ride one on the commute. Now I don't care what I ride :tongue:

Top Bottom