Very new to cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sleepy

Hi, I'm from Leicestershire and very new to cycling. Just got back from an activity holiday in the Alps and thought I'd try and keep any fitness I'd acquired.
My bike is an old, heavy sit up and beg sort of thing and desperately needs a service, it's a bit clunky and the gears don't seem to work right :sad:
Anyway, I went out on Sunday (10 miles) and yesterday (6.5 miles) but not today.
Can you tell me, when can I wake up in the morning and my bum not hurt any more? I have a big old lady's seat and it still hurts :sad:
I'm not overweight but I am really unfit.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Hi, I'm from Leicestershire and very new to cycling. Just got back from an activity holiday in the Alps and thought I'd try and keep any fitness I'd acquired.
My bike is an old, heavy sit up and beg sort of thing and desperately needs a service, it's a bit clunky and the gears don't seem to work right :sad:
Anyway, I went out on Sunday (10 miles) and yesterday (6.5 miles) but not today.
Can you tell me, when can I wake up in the morning and my bum not hurt any more? I have a big old lady's seat and it still hurts :sad:

I could be weeks it could be months.

A larger saddle is not always better as more of your bum is exposed to pressure.

One day on two days off in the beginning would be a good way to condition your body :smile:

calibanzwei

It will take a while for your 'sit bones' to acclimatise - gel seats/inserts for shorts might help.
Post over in the tech section for help with your gears or take it to your lbs (local bike shop) for a tune up :becool:

tongskie01

get a recumbent trike. worth the money.

tongskie01

Good suggestion but do you think a little extreme for someone just starting out cycling? :smile:

extreme? having not to balance and sitting comfortably and pedalling .
smile.gif

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
having not to balance and sitting comfortably and pedalling isnt too extreme.
smile.gif

How much does an entry level bent cost?

colly

Re member eR
Can you tell me, when can I wake up in the morning and my bum not hurt any more?

Hi Sleepy,

Welcome to the forum.

You'll find that as you get used to the bike, and fitter you will be putting less weight on your bum and more on your hands and feet. I'm not quite sure how that would work with a 'dutch' type sit up and beg bike but it seems to work with most other bikes.

Top Bottom