1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very OT: recommend a birthday present please!

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Globalti, 29 Aug 2007.

1. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

...for my walking/climbing/skiing pal, who is a 52 year old Yorkshireman. He is getting interested in cycling, drinks beer, likes jazz (Coltrane etc) rock and photgraphy.

Over the years I've given all the walking books, CDs, tokens, bottles and everything else. Now I'm completely stuck for ideas. Any outstanding jazz CDs just launched, which he might enjoy?

2. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Why not buy something completely different...not associated with his hobbies and music.....how about a piece of 'Objet D'art'? Some people like different things. ;-)

3. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

If he's getting interested then buy him a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. red_tom

red_tom New Member

You could get him a subscription to a Jazz mag. ;)

5. redfox

redfox New Member

Probably not the greenest gift idea but, as you mentioned photography, digital photo frams are quite cheap these days.

6. Buy him an Andy Goldworthy book - preferably one which gives a good biographical background to the artist.

A sensitivity and rythmn to all natural things can be found within his books...

... and/or an entry voucher to some stately home or t'other. The Lowry Museum? A local history tour? (don't know if they exist?)

Something in Cumbria..http://www.sheepfolds.org/html/info/info00.htm

7. stevenb

stevenb New Member

I think book vouchers are a good idea. Ottakers etc.....ok vouchers are an easy get out pressie....but at least he can choose.

8. OP
    OP
    Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Thanks for the suggestions.... I love Andy Goldsworthy's stuff but fear my pal might view it as a waste of time - he is a bit of a philistine! Vouchers... hmmmm... jazz mag - good idea but his flat is already full of piles of unread climbing mags. Photography - he's yet to go digital. Hey... how about a pocket digital camera for those walking trips?

*sound of brain ticking*

9. johnr

johnr Über Member

Dan Hicks and His Hot Licks. If he's not into them already, he'll love you forever.