Very short quill stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave5N

Über Member
I need a really short (80mm or less?) quill stem for my son's bike. It is a bit big and he is very stretched out and finds his neck aches when on the drops for a while. A shorter stem will pull him back and he might actually get off the nose of the saddle!

Does anyone have such a thing?

Many thanks

bonj2

why don't you get a proper headset dave!

bonj2

get a proper i.e. threadless headset. Take the old fashioned headset off. Put the proper headset on. (Or get a bike shop to do it).
Then you'll be able to fit a proper stem on.

bonj2

Uncle Phil said:
Nothing wrong with threaded headsets and quill stems.
I have a 70mm Cinelli one - any good? Yours for, say £5 via PayPal and in the post tomorrow.

Well, there is - if nothing else that there's not as good a range of stems for them!
I had a bike with a quill stem and it kept coming loose, so i don't trust them.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Fine. You carry on with your lumpy, heavy, inelegant threadless setups, Bonj.

Meanwhile, Dave5N knows what he wants and it's a quill stem. Much as you may disaprove, fitting a shorter one is a much cheaper and more appropriate solution to his problem than buying a whole bunch of new parts just because you don't like the design of the old ones.

OP
OP
Dave5N

Dave5N

Über Member
Bonj, you reveal more of your ignorance with each post you make.

Uncle Phil, many thanks. I'll get the tape measure out and get back to you.

bonj said:
well, it's adjustable, but i'll let you off.

Gee! Thanks bonj :tongue: It replaces this one
2008_0506Trek7000001.jpg
which was a little bit too high (but only cost a couple of quid) and looked a bit gormless. The original conversion looked like this
2008_0506Trek7000003.jpg
and I thought that looked even worse, though the bars seemed more or less where I wanted them. I found that SJS do a spacer that just 'filled the gap'. I suppose that I could have fitted one of these
Quill.jpg
but I wanted black and an open-face clamp (and anyway that cost more than the bits I finished up with anyway). So, I reckon that I have the best (or worst?) of both quill and ahead :smile:.

Top Bottom