very slow elswick stag rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

I have Elswick Stag that I am slowly (thanks to work, kids etc) getting ready as my main commuting bike. Has anyone else had any experience working on same bike? Would appreciate any wisdom!
Need to figure out gearing, having problems removing rather strange cassette, been informed first cog is a locking nut but unable to remove with chain whips. Also be interested in advice about maybe fitting compact chain ring, this became an issue after attempting to climb Billinge Hill on test ride...unwilling to blame my legs!
I don't want to butcher bike, just want to make it into decent everyday ride. Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i presume its the older screw on rear block so you will need the correct tool to do it , but be warned there are quite a few variations of themes .

how many gears does it have ie single or double chainring ring at front and how many cogs at back ?

without knowing what condition bike is in hard to advise what needs doing but i would certainly suggest strip and clean all bearings , replace cables and brake pads .
Then depending on what you do re gearing a new chain .

pics always help

OP
OP
U

User32269

Hi thanks. Sorry for late response. will put photos up when I have made required posts as new to forum.
bike is 12 speed, double chainring, largest 52.
Did a bit of research as none of my tools fitted rear cog and found it was early cassette system with smallest cog acting as locking ring, but no joy with penetrating oil and whips.
Will take to lbs but would appreciate advice on replacement. Want to keep friction shifters on downtube but looking to also replace chainset for compact. BB in good shape and want to keep rest of bike original as in excellent condition.
Am just an interested fettler and find most older models throw the odd curve ball at you. Wondered if anybody else had worked on same bike and could share any tips.
Put pics up asap.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
why not just replace rear block with one that has a wider range ie 14 - 28 over 7 cogs or are your friction shifters only 6 speed ?

Why the great fascination with a compact ?

OP
OP
U

User32269

why not just replace rear block with one that has a wider range ie 14 - 28 over 7 cogs or are your friction shifters only 6 speed ?

Why the great fascination with a compact ?

OP
OP
U

User32269

Not really facinated with compact, just looking at getting a more usable gear spread and was unsure about fitting wider rear cog in frame on 27" wheels?
Got to get everything stripped down, replace cables etc then will replace rear cog with wider spread as you suggest. I have the usual boxes of old parts and would normally just replace like for like, but I want to keep and use this bike and wanted to avoid any errors and unnecessary expense.
cheers for responding and I will put up some pics of (hopefully) fantastically shiny and usable old steel stead when complete.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
If you want to use a wider spread you may need to get a new rear derallieur. I've done this on an old Humber and it works fine.

If you get the rear cog from a lbs then they usually take the old one off free of charge

Should be around the £10 mark for a new freewheel.

OP
OP
U

User32269

Cheers. Can't wait to see my better halfs face when she discovers derailleur from her mountain bike has vanished!

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Lol I like your style. If in doubt the shimano megarange will handle most things and is fairly cheap and cheerful.

Dave M

Cheers. Can't wait to see my better halfs face when she discovers derailleur from her mountain bike has vanished!
Hi Dave. Take a look at the Sheldon Brown website regarding freehub's as this will tell you what you need.Basically this is an early type of cassette, but you need to remove the bearings before the freehub will come off. Hope that helps, but shout if you need more info. Oh, I have a Stag as well and also intend to refurb, but have the same distractions as yourself!

OP
OP
U

User32269

Hi Dave. Take a look at the Sheldon Brown website regarding freehub's as this will tell you what you need.Basically this is an early type of cassette, but you need to remove the bearings before the freehub will come off. Hope that helps, but shout if you need more info. Oh, I have a Stag as well and also intend to refurb, but have the same distractions as yourself!

Cheers Dave. Yeah managed to get cassette off etc. But the Stag has now gone along with other rusty old (I mean classic!) projects. I am bit gutted but can now get in shed. Wasn't realy worth the expense to refurb bike so it went on my better halfs ebay...brownie points for me when she checked her PayPal account!
20141011_144546.jpg

Top Bottom