Very tall Lipscombe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User42423

1965 Lipscombe.jpg Lippy #2.jpg Lippy #8.jpg Lippy #4.jpg Lippy #6.jpg

Although I've shown this image recently (as a collective). I though readers might like to see it alone. The bike is a 1965 F A Lipscombe. It was custom built for a member of the Century Road Club.

The frame size is 28 inches, the handlebar extention is 7 inches, & the cranks are 8 inches.

001.jpg Mick Dring, the original owner.

It took me a bit of metric translation to realize just how big that bike is. The cranks are 208mm and the frame is a 71.

I like the gusset in the stem and the additional stays behind the seatpost. I've never seen anything like this. Thanks for sharing.

Drago

Legendary Member
I guess the frame builder was trying to.compensate for possible flex in such long tubes. It's a.wonderful bike, and even if you're not tall enough to ride it has gotta be worthy of hanging an a wall.and a a.talking point.

OP
OP
U

User42423

It took me a bit of metric translation to realize just how big that bike is. The cranks are 208mm and the frame is a 71.

I like the gusset in the stem and the additional stays behind the seatpost. I've never seen anything like this. Thanks for sharing.

Hi Yellow Saddle. Thanks for your comment. It was the features you mention that drew me to it in the 1st instance. Sadly, it is too big for me to ride, but I do enjoy looking at it!.

OP
OP
U

User42423

I guess the frame builder was trying to.compensate for possible flex in such long tubes. It's a.wonderful bike, and even if you're not tall enough to ride it has gotta be worthy of hanging an a wall.and a a.talking point.

Hi Drago. The extra struts behind the seat tube are purely for strength. Sadly, it is too big for me to ride, but I do display it at various static displays during the year. It always attracts attention. It is what 'we' call a "second glance machine". You don't realise what you're looking at the first time.

I displayed it at the Smithfield Nocturne (Central London) last year, and it caused quite a stir.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I realised how bit it was straight off by looking at the proportions of where the tubes are!! There is a HUGE gap between the toptube and the gear shifters for example.

I am 5 10, so am a 21/22 inch, BUT, I bet it would still be fun to ride in the way you see kids in places like India riding bikes that are far, far too big for them!! :giggle:

Top Bottom