Very tight through axle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably getting a bit paranoid due to my woeful experience with my Kuota.

Anyway new bike from cycle2work provider arrived. Towards the end of first ride I noticed the gear changes weren't smooth - thought this was nothing more than cable stretch.

Anyway I wanted to swap the tyres and found the rear wheel through axle was incredibly tight - eventually I got it to release. Swapped tyres - happy days.

However on a short test ride now - the gears were jumping all over the place - the thing was pretty much unrideable.

C2w provider agreed to fund the fee for and LBS to look at it. And it's with them now.

I'm just wondering could the over tightened (imo) rear through axle have been a bodge to try and hide a poorly aligned frame ?

Or is it likely to be poor initial set up + cable stretch.......

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
What kind of thru axle is it?

Also bare in mind, one man's f'in stupid tight is another man's that shouldn't come undone accidentally, depending on individual strength. What did you have to do to get it undone?

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
What kind of thru axle is it?

Also bare in mind, one man's f'in stupid tight is another man's that shouldn't come undone accidentally, depending on individual strength. What did you have to do to get it undone?

I pulled very hard !

But since I put the wheel back on and didn't over tighten the slipping gears seemed to get a lot worse - which makes me wonder if it was tightened for that reason.

As I said previous bad experience with a bike that everything had to be torqued so tight to stop it from creaking has me very wary ..... eventually the kouta frame cracked ...

Top Bottom