Very tired

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darthpaul

Just did my first commute back to work this year due to having to drive the last couple of weeks for family reasons. I get 2 miles in to my 6 mile commute and I am very tired as it is from being out of practice cycling and my rear disc brake keeps sticking, the pistons are obviously a little corroded and not releasing properly, making a hard cycle to work even harder!

Any advice on what I can do to free them up a little before I cycle home? I have limited tools available at work ;)

Ravenz

Chip fat and a rubber mallet....??

Someone on this forum swears by that combination... I'm sure ;);)

Use the disc itself. Thumbs on the caliper and very gently pull the disc towards you. It'll force the nearside pad to return. Push it away from you to return the inboard pad. The closer to the caliper you hold the disc the less chance you have of bending it out of whack.

OP
OP
darthpaul

darthpaul

Someone suggested taking the rear wheel off and using a plastic tyre lever to push back the pads a little? Presumably I need to lubricate the pistons with something to free them up...

RedBike

Pushing the pads back is a good idea. However, you don't want to get grease/ oil anywhere near the pads. It will wreck them.

You can take the pads out and then lightly grease the pistons.

Once you've pushed the pads back and re-fitted your wheel then you'll need to pump the brake lever to get your brakes to work again.

Top Bottom