Vests, ok they is now all 'trendy' baselayers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mycroft

Merino

but then if you don't like Merino (too fussy eh?) you probably wouldn't be seen dead with a brooks saddle either, no pleasing some people, HA, I remember when all this was fields. etc.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
sheddy said:
Does anyone know what skiers wear as a BL ?

I'm a skier, and wear Merino.

Merino is my hardest working item of clothing. It needs less washing than synthetic base layers, and therefore lasts longer. It is useful in the heat of summer when walking up mountains, and in the cold winter snow when ski-ing. It is what I put on first when going out to watch rugby, then keep it on when I stop off for a cup of tea or a beer. I wear it when out cycling in summer or winter, commuting, training or just getting some miles in the legs. It is great when Christmas shopping, moving from the cold wet streets of Birmingham, into the over-heated shops.

Yes, its not cheap. But for me it is one of the best things that I have bought. Like the difference between a BSO, and something special from your LBS.

Randochap

Senior hunter
There are all kinds of alternatives/choices in base layers and the very best will be made of or blends of hydrophilic polyester, acrylic and -- yes -- Merino wool.

On edit: You should understand that these fabrics -- Merino included -- have very good hydrophillic properties, meaning that they transport perspiration away from the skin, unlike, say, cotton which holds it next to you.

Having said that, it's body heat that drives the dampness through the garment, to an outer layer. So layering is the key ... and if you overheat, then stop moving, no piece of clothing will entirely solve the issue.

Proper clothing + brains and experience is the total key to safe and comfortable cold-weather sports.

jay clock

Massive member
I'm a skier, and wear Merino................. Like the difference between a BSO, and something special from your LBS.
The original question asked for silk/wool recommendations, so I agree, suggesting merino does not answer it.

But i think the BSO vs half decent bike analogy is a great one. Anyone coming on here asking for advice on a bike would get the same answer - go for something that works well. And price apart, most people on here agree merino is good stuff. I have 4 LS Oasis Icebreaker tops and I wear them daily through the winter for cycling and non cycling...

Top Bottom