Vests, ok they is now all 'trendy' baselayers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I have too many polyester this and that and although ok for summer, are absolute dire in this season.
cold and if you do sweat, it never dries out and there is the pong factor.

I have seen some 80/20 silk woolen mix tee shirt vests...
any good?

drawback, the design of them is ... back the to 70s .. browns and ugly blues
has anyone any ideas on a more stylish solution?
Sometimes, I do wear a 'baselayer' on its own......

MajorMantra

A good baselayer should wick away sweat and keep you dry and warm - what ones are you using? Also, what are you combining them with? I find that when it's around 6-11°C a base layer (I've been using an Endura Frontline lately) plus a long sleeved jersey is perfect. If it rains or gets chilly the windproof comes out.

Matthew

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Refer to Merino thread. Merino keeps you warm in winter, cool in summer, doesn't get laden with sweat, and if it does, doesn't go badly pongy that day.

And there are some good styles available for base layers. Personally I like the Howies look, and my Chocolate fish is a bit plainer in colour, but has a nice zip front.

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
I was trying to avoid the Clive Dunn grandad look... and Howies seem very baggy.

Polyester based vests ... the fitness type have a decent cut and style but again rubbish for the colder , wetter months...
Hence my opinion on silk/wool mix.. that was cheaper .. a lot .. but again because the manufacturer was aiming for the mountain market, style is not even a consideration!
You can get retro wool jerseys.. but again over expensive and they contain a large % of man made acrylic ho hum

The partner has xmas awayed a merino l/s with 1/4 zip that was just about on the cusp of being bleedin ridiculous at 28 quid..
I have just seen the ref to Rapha ... good God , I darent even tread over their internet portal without being shown the door

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
£50 times 3 ... getting veeerrry expensive
also I hate the round neck , cooped up like oven ready bird feeling .. no zip...
It must just be me.. if my jacket or cycling top zips down.. why cant my vest..??

I am picky .. very very picky..

jay clock

Massive member
MERINO

OP
OP
I am Spartacus

I am Spartacus

Über Member
70% Acrylic, 20% Wool, 10% Polyamide.... same problem as polyester surely?
sweat remains... gets cold .. and then the pong?
that is why I am trying to find someone who has used silk/wool mix and has found a decent cut for the bike...

should have named this thread as the
non merino thread

Fiona N

Veteran
I use a modern version of a string vest as a base layer a lot of the time. Admittedly it is synthetic but there's not much of it - most holes than fabric - but they're superb at keeping a layer of warm air between you and the outside world, in my case, under a Foska top or a Gore lightweight windstopper, depending on the temperature. There's not enough material to soak up sweat which passes straight on through the top layer keeping you drier inside. The two (LS and SS) I have are Odlo, bought in Switzerland, but my LBS has something similar in the window and you often see the pros in summer with a mesh base layer so there must be other versions around too.

MajorMantra

I am Spartacus said:
What's the material mix of that?

Just polyester. You didn't say what you're wearing base layers with. To be comfy you want all your layers to be at least a bit breathable. That way sweat doesn't build up too much.

Matthew

Top Bottom