Is my new bike too big?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pclay

Veteran
Hi, i took delivery of a Trek Fx2+ ebike today, purchased online with a cycle scheme voucher. I ordered it directly form the cycle schem provider.

Being 188cm (6ft2) tall with inside leg of 88cm I ordered the XL as recommended by the Trek website. This bike is like a horse, and I think that this sizing is not suitable for anyone under 6ft4.

There is no standover room on the top tube, it's actually pushing into my groin when I stand flat footed over it. The saddle also has to be really low so that I could touch my toes onto the floor when sat on it. This leaves hardly any seatpost showing.

I have ridden road bikes for many years, and my sizing is Cannondale Synapse 58cm or giant Defy Large. I stood this Trek XL next to my XL Pinnacle arkose, and my Arkose looks tiny next to this Trek.

Im going to an Evans Cycles tomorrow to look at the same bike in Large, and if i decide that this XL is too big, its going to have to be shipped back.

Can I get some thoughts on sizing?

20231030_111924.jpg

20231030_111943.jpg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Standard is heel on pedal leg straight so when you are pedalling you have a slight bend of the knee

1698671948377.png

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I doubt that I could sit on the saddle of any of my bikes and touch the floor with my toes, nor stand over the top tube! I just lean the bike over as necessary when standing over it. Trying to do those 2 things will probably result in you buying an undersized bike and having a very inefficient position

That bike definitely doesn't look too big to me, the saddle looks way too low, and maybe the bars too close too.

You aren't happy with the bike so either change the bike or change how you think about it and ride that one?

I see riders all the time with their saddles too low but if that's how they want to ride, that is up to them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check it with the saddle at the right height. It looks a couple of inches too short - see above, leg straight touch pedal axel with heal - you then make some small adjustments.

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
First lesson, stand over the bike with shoes on 🤦. It's feel a bit better with shoes on. I have the stand over height.

I have found a large chip in the forks though....

20231030_133128.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
Looks spot on to me.

The chip is disappointing, but you'll pick them up as you ride outside anyway, so unless it's worth the hassle I'd try not to worry too much.

a.twiddler

Veteran
How you like your saddle adjustment is up to you, but physical limitations such as standover height are fixed and it's either right or it's not. It used to be that if you stood over the top tube in your usual cycling shoes and could lift the bars 1 to 2 inches without discomfort, the height was right. Being on the short side myself, I made compromises and accepted that maybe less would have to do if I wanted to be able to ride, but if you're average sized there shouldn't be any reason to have a bike that makes you uncomfortable. The only way to be sure that a bike fits is to try one for size. Different manufacturers seem to have their own ideas about sizing. Just be aware that a smaller size might have a shorter top tube too. I've practically always had to try different stems on bikes I've had, new or used, to get the reach right.

Certainly, trying one at Evans should give you a better idea. If your supplier will exchange it because of the scratch that might be the time to change the size, if that's what you decide after trying the next size down.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Its the right size.
The seat looks too low for you.
Also, Its not a mountain bike so stand over doesn't really matter. You will be riding it not standing over it.
I'd also ask for some money off for that paint chip and if you keep it you will be able to paint over it with women's nail varnish.

vickster

Legendary Member
How you like your saddle adjustment is up to you, but physical limitations such as standover height are fixed and it's either right or it's not. It used to be that if you stood over the top tube in your usual cycling shoes and could lift the bars 1 to 2 inches without discomfort, the height was right. Being on the short side myself, I made compromises and accepted that maybe less would have to do if I wanted to be able to ride, but if you're average sized there shouldn't be any reason to have a bike that makes you uncomfortable. The only way to be sure that a bike fits is to try one for size. Different manufacturers seem to have their own ideas about sizing. Just be aware that a smaller size might have a shorter top tube too. I've practically always had to try different stems on bikes I've had, new or used, to get the reach right.

Certainly, trying one at Evans should give you a better idea. If your supplier will exchange it because of the scratch that might be the time to change the size, if that's what you decide after trying the next size down.

He does say it's fine now he's put his shoes on :smile:

OP
OP
pclay

pclay

Veteran
Yes. I've put my shoes on now. The sizing feels better, but this is my first hybrid bike and it still feels like a horse. I'll get some more photos later.

And it wasn't a paint chip - it was sticky tape residue. Not having the best of days today. Maybe I should lie down and rest. 🤦

Top Bottom