Vicini Cesena, Italian road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John McLean

Über Member
Vicini Cesena, Italian road bike I think from the 1990's, any ideas?
more photos on the below page:
http://footprintcomputing.co.uk/Vicini_Cesena/

re_IMG_0090.JPG

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Campag introduced dual pivot brakes in 1994 and put groupset names on parts in 1995, so your bike is a '94.

It's also utterly gorgeous!

Have you tried Retrobike.co.uk?

OP
OP
John McLean

John McLean

Über Member
Thanks for the heads up on retro bike Scilly Suffolk.

She rides beautifully, a bit too nice for commuting though.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I've had a chance to look through your other photos and I am a little out on the date; some of your parts have the groupset name on so are at least from 1995, although the cranks and front mech. are no later than 1994. Assuming they are all original, then it is likely to be no more than a year later than I originally thought. What is the date code on the cranks?

Mario Vicini was a racer from the 30's and 40's (with a considerable palmarès), Cesena being his home town. The company is still going today.

It is beautifully understated, but the Shimano pedals really need replacing and, personally speaking, the black seatpost jars.

raindog

er.....
Yes, got to be mid 90s. Very nice too. What's the finish on it? Just metallic paint? The wheels look a tad too modern for my taste. If you want to change the pedals, some Campag clipless would look good on it.

For dating, why not write to the company with the serial numbers? That's what I did with my Italian Faggin and they replied really quickly by email with a date and were very charming into the bargain.

OP
OP
John McLean

John McLean

Über Member
...Just metallic paint? The wheels look a tad too modern for my taste. If you want to change the pedals, some Campag clipless would look good on it.

Looks like metallic paint. You right right some Campag clipless might be the way to go.

For dating, why not write to the company with the serial numbers? That's what I did with my Italian Faggin and they replied really quickly by email with a date and were very charming into the bargain.
I'll give it a try.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Does the number '62' inside a square mean anything Scilly Suffolk?
It's Campag so nothing is set in stone, but to the best of my understanding 6 in a square is 1990; the 2 could be for the 2nd quarter of the year (or the 2nd half) or for nothing at all...

There are several different explanations floating around the 'net and this is what I've pulled together:
- Campag started date coding Super Record cranks in the Seventies, using a plain date code (ie 75 = 1975) in a diamond;
- for the the first half of the Eighties they used a circle with the second digit being a plain date code, so n2 = 1982;
- they then switched to a square and indicated the year with 11 for 1985, 21 for 1986, 31 for 1987 etc, using the second digit to indicate the quarter of the year it was manufactured. Other sources say it went 11, 22, 33 etc.

Any or all of the above may be nonsense.

OP
OP
John McLean

John McLean

Über Member
Thanks Scilly Suffolk! Sounds like they had some left field people working at Campag, why didn't they use a two digit code like '90' for 1990, too easy?

thanks again for the details!

Top Bottom