Victory! We've reached the Promised Land!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Wait till June/July and there are even more on the road - it's an epidemic, I tell you.

Last year the most cyclists I counted at Oval Tube was 40 - swarming in and around the ASL reservoir at 8.20ish. If I can count fast enough I reckon 50 will be topped!

A few of these cycle counters would be great:

3510008927_729d4d5299.jpg

Danny

Legendary Member
dellzeqq said:
I'd say that there were fifteen of us waiting at the red light at Kennington Cross
We really have reached the promissed land if 15 London cyclists all stopped for a red light ;)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Danny said:
We really have reached the promissed land if 15 London cyclists all stopped for a red light :tongue:
they did and they do. And it's worth saying, because we run the risk of believing what others say about us, rather than rely on our own observations. I'm not saying you'd get the same result in Islington, and I certainly wouldn't put money on it, but the cyclists coming up from southwest London are a pretty law-abiding lot.

I went out on Friday with the intention of taking pics. It rained, and the number of cyclists diminished by over 50% - which is reasonable. Every ride should pay its own way....

U

User482

I stayed with friends in London this weekend, and was struck by the sheer number of cyclists about - leisure, serious & utility. So Dell, you may well be right. If only they could end this tedious obsession with fixies...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
User482 said:
I stayed with friends in London this weekend, and was struck by the sheer number of cyclists about - leisure, serious & utility. So Dell, you may well be right. If only they could end this tedious obsession with fixies...

can I ask whereabouts you were? It's generally reckoned that the southwest quadrant is bicycle central.

No snaps today. At hospital being told to give up cycling....

U

User482

dellzeqq said:
can I ask whereabouts you were? It's generally reckoned that the southwest quadrant is bicycle central.

No snaps today. At hospital being told to give up cycling....

Honor Oak Park, but as I was driving from Bristol, I had to go right across London. Loads of cyclists through Camberwell and the Oval, and a fair few along Embankment.

What happened at the hospital?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Bits of me are wearing out. Mainly bits in contact with the saddle.

Came back down Kennington Road today, but fewer cyclists by far. Many more than you would have seen ten years ago, but I think the sun makes a big difference.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It was the wind today. It is a very sharp and bitingly cold easterly - cold enough that I had two long-sleeved layers and long trousers, and almost wished I hadn't worn my fingerless mitts. Central London was also noticeably quieter of cyclists.

U

User482

dellzeqq said:
Bits of me are wearing out. Mainly bits in contact with the saddle.

Came back down Kennington Road today, but fewer cyclists by far. Many more than you would have seen ten years ago, but I think the sun makes a big difference.

I'm sorry I asked! Hope you can get it sorted out...

Yes, it was sunny when I was passing through. Whilst I accept that has an effect, there still seemed to be noticeably more cyclists than we have in Bristol. And given that Bristol has relatively high cycling rates, that's impressive.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
srw said:
It was the wind today. It is a very sharp and bitingly cold easterly - cold enough that I had two long-sleeved layers and long trousers, and almost wished I hadn't worn my fingerless mitts. Central London was also noticeably quieter of cyclists.
you're right. The Babe was blown about all over the place on Blackfriars Bridge.

U

User169

I was in London last weekend. I too was struck by the number of cyclists out and about, but more by the numbers sans botsmuts (definitely an "improvement" in this regard).

This new bike shop in Highbury looks nice.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
DSC00153.jpg

DSC00154.jpg

DSC00152.jpg

not great pics, and definitely nowhere near as many cyclists as a week ago, but it gives some idea...

Origamist

Legendary Member
This morning, (8.30ish) at the junction of Kennington Road and Kennigton Park Road there were 3 blokes counting traffic. I asked them if they were keeping track of cyclists, surprisingly they said "yes". Intrigued, I asked them how many had passed them going NE along Kennington Park Road in the last 15 mins. They guy said well over 200.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Origamist said:
This morning, (8.30ish) at the junction of Kennington Road and Kennigton Park Road there were 3 blokes counting traffic. I asked them if they were keeping track of cyclists, surprisingly they said "yes". Intrigued, I asked them how many had passed them going NE along Kennington Park Road in the last 15 mins. They guy said well over 200.
What! I'm going to be doing that next week. (Strokes chin and reflects) - perhaps there's no need.

I'd have been going south at that time. I went north at about 7.20 and there were zillions of cyclists.

U

User482

Origamist said:

Yes, councils do measure cycle traffic. I've seen them doing counts in Bristol a few times now.

Top Bottom