Video Cams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

D7JAB

Hi there,
Been looking at video cams for the bike but was wondering if they are just hype or somewhat useful?
Their battery life in some are a tad weak...strating from 1.5 hours.

Does anyone here use them? Are they frowned upon?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
The thing you have to ask yourself, "do I really need one"

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I'd love a decent quality one with a good battery life simply for recording the beauty and tranquillity of my rides (it's not really grim up north... but don't tell any southerners that).

I have zero interest in 'must have camera just in case some car pulls out on me so i can post it on youtube in the vain hope everybody will agree with me that cars are very naughty'.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Personally, I have mine for insurance purposes, £50 on a camera to be sure that my £500 bike gets replaced in the event of an accident with a third party is more than worth it IMO. I've just invested in a new camera with a better battery life/memory card capacity though, so I'll be putting Sunday rides etc on the interwebs for locals to enjoy.

Old vs New

OP
OP
D7JAB

D7JAB

I have one. I use it for boring my family with replays of my rides.:biggrin:
I like your style!....
..."and heres that 80 mile ride i was telling you about...you all sitting comfortably?..."

tt123

Regular
Having seen the possibilities that these offer, I'm quite interested in getting one myself so that I too can bore my family, friends, and everyone on Youtube.

Any recommendations on the cheaper end of the scale (ideally less than £100)?

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
I went through an ATC3000 and two Veho Muvis before I got a Contour HD, and I wish I'd have got that first off - it's lasted me years now. The ATC had awful video and sound quality but was bombproof, and the Muvis broke far too easily but had decent recording quality.

Not sure how much a new Contour is now, but it's worth spending a bit more if you really want and/or need a camera.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Having seen the possibilities that these offer, I'm quite interested in getting one myself so that I too can bore my family, friends, and everyone on Youtube.

Any recommendations on the cheaper end of the scale (ideally less than £100)?

No. Anything <£100 either has a problem with battery life, or a problem with clarity. Contour ROAM is the cheapest camera I'd go for if I needed to replace my current setup.

caimg

Über Member
I picked up a contour roam. Very good quality, stupidly easy to use. Aside from the retrospective protection it would add to any incidents on the road, I love just looking back at bits of my rides, nice little unique memories / memoirs. Riding and seeing odd things or riding with SWMBO are things I'd like to look back on in years to come and with my possible future kids etc...

Top Bottom