Video: "You can't have it both ways..."

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
...is what he said when I asked him why he'd done what he just had.

I still don't understand his way of thinking.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qx33ek86eM
I think your mistake was to assume he was actually thinking! :reading:

He looks quite civilised although I don't know the whole conversation.I suppose it makes a change from f-awf.

Is there no sound on that video?

I just got my 8 year old computer working again and aint sure if the sound is working.

With what lee says I took up a poor position in primary the other day and it lead to a very nasty incident with a black cab.(I went into secondary too early)

There is sound, but you don't want to hear my garbled brummy.

He was more smug than civilized, especially when he smirked as he passed me a couple of minutes later.

I don't mind...I also love hearing magnatoms rantings...it's great fun.B)

I think the classic was when magnatom fell off although im glad magnatom wasn't hurt.

It also reminds me of my rantings and swearing sometimes.:blush:

redjedi

Über Member
I think that was poor positioning.

When the traffic started moving, you should have picked a lane and moved into primary. It does appear to be one wide lane, but it's being treated as two.

The driver of the red toyota looked to be a bit confused as to what you were going to do.
I would have dropped in behind the red Toyota and stayed there until the traffic stopped and then carried on filtering.

Tynan

Veteran
yep, I make the driver right, sorry, you really can't filter when the traffic is moving faster than you are

the red car looked like it was going to leave the road it was that worried about your position

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Sorry Mister P -got to concede with the others here - your positioning was a bit off and the red car was nervous about where you were riding, I'd agree with RJ -go back behind the red car and change lane when safer to do so.

stowie

Legendary Member
Although Mister P's positioning may be a bit off on this, I can see why. I have done this before - the red car is a bit slow to move forward and either you lose momentum and go behind, or try to go around, which leaves you a it badly positioned. But when I have done something like this, the cars behind hang back until I have sorted myself out (and I have given a friendly thankyou for their consideration). The car driver is a bit of an idiot to push through - you would like a driver to help the situation, not push past to make a slightly stupid point. Mind-you this is the kind of driver who would push past if you were driving a car and made a lane mistake, as opposed to act in a considerate manner, so I don't think it is really because you are on a cycle.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
It wasn't so bad, he wasn't close to you and didn't endanger anyone as he went on the hatching in the middle of the road.

I would have just carried on.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Let's be frank though, Mr. P.'s fault was only a minor one of defensive riding. The actual fault and blame must be with that bad overtake by the driver. Stupid and pointless to overtake into the back of a queue.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Interesting. From reading your posts Mr P I've always thought you were quite risk averse, yet seeing you ride has been a real eye opener as you're not risk averse at all!

mknash

I don't think anyone is saying "two wrongs make a right", but there is also the case of "those who live in glass houses......"

(This post bought to you courtesy of cliche)

redjedi

Über Member
It was a poor overtake, imo not overly dangerous just pointless, but invited to do so by the poor positioning.

MrP said he wanted to go around the right of the the traffic. If so then he should have moved into Primary behind the Ford and claimed the lane.

Instead he ends up in no man's land, confusing the red Toyota driver and leaving enough space to tempt the poor overtake.

GrasB

Veteran
2 people not showing best judgment really. MP took primary on the road but the convention was to turn that piece of road into 2 lanes, this turned his primary into 2 weak secondaries `giving the invitation' to a slightly pushy driver to perform a dubious overtake. It also confused another driver who acted in a much more responsible manner to the indecisive road position - hang back & try to work out what MP was doing.

IMO the overtaking driver was the biggest offender of bad judgment here, he gained nothing bar a few seconds & made another road user feel vulnerable/intimidated. Had he waited behind he'd have pulled away from the lights exactly zero seconds latter.

Top Bottom