Videos: Bus driver's perspective

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As a driver and cyclist I can't think of many things I dislike in the dark winter evenings as much as ninjas - whether it's cars or bikes without lights, or peds withs darks clothes and hoods up crossing the road.

As for the point about lights vs clothing - those without one are usually missing the other.
 
OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Location
'ampsheeeer
Davywalnuts said:
I've recently changed my drawstring nylon bag from a dark blue one to a high vis one with reflectives as became increasily concerned this area was a downfall.. since the change over, the result has been massive and alot more room given by car lorries etc. Best £2.99 i've ever spent!

I've also spent the past months or so staying in lane rather than creeping up to an ASL and the respect I am getting from the majority or drivers has been impressive. As a friend said to me, your don't know what where these cyclist are going when your stationary in a car or moving slowly.. And neither do I when am sitting patently behind a vehicle!

My Saloman bag made a big deal on their blurb about it being "hiviz" as it had two tiny bits of 3m piping on the back. ;) Er no, I think not. When ever I ride with a backpack on I usually tie another reflective tabbard over it.

Oh and I think I'm the most lit and reflective cyclist here after this morning. I nearly pulled out of a junction on another cyclist in the dark and poorly lit back streets of Shirley, Southampton. She was hugging the parked cars too, had she been out a couple of feet I think I'd have seen her better. :blush:
 
gaz said:
True that, i never use an ASL unless i know the road and know that it isn't one of those!

Which is the point about experienced cyclists....

At first glance there are effectively three lanes, you would not expect a vehicle in the outside lane to turn across the inner lane, so many people assume the same courtesy will be given to the cycle lane....
 

neslon

Guru
Location
The Toon
thomas said:
I don't have any statistics, but I don't think many cyclists get hurt/killed due to not having lights? Certainly I've never heard of a case.

I posted last winter that I opened a door on a cyclist - after checking the mirror, opening it and looking over my shoulder. He was all in black, on a black bike with a black bobble hat and no lights, late at night. Completely invisible.

On the other hand, I was cleaned out by a moton last week at 2 in the afternoon, in bright sunshine while wearing bright orange gear and hi-viz everything.

Karma?
 

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Location
Staines!
downfader said:
My Saloman bag made a big deal on their blurb about it being "hiviz" as it had two tiny bits of 3m piping on the back. :rolleyes: Er no, I think not. When ever I ride with a backpack on I usually tie another reflective tabbard over it.

Oh and I think I'm the most lit and reflective cyclist here after this morning. I nearly pulled out of a junction on another cyclist in the dark and poorly lit back streets of Shirley, Southampton. She was hugging the parked cars too, had she been out a couple of feet I think I'd have seen her better. :biggrin:

I've got a rucksack with reflective piping but am not convinced...

This is the baby!

DSC011652.jpg
 
Top Bottom