Videos - do they encourage or discourage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

G3CWI

Veteran
Recumbent riders seem to like posting videos. But they often seem to paint a rather negative picture of this form of cycling... or am I missing something?

Quite the opposite for me, started watching bents on youtube and I was hooked as they were always having a blast out on their 2 wheel or 3 wheel recumbents.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
What do you mean by negative? Most videos show either how comfortable the 'bents are, or how fast they are (usually involving overtaking 'normal' bike, see below.)

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4g9s95xA9I

Or do you mean that the average 'bent rider is, erm....a little strange looking? Admittedly, there are some Doc Brown, mad scientist looking types out there.:wacko:

OP
OP
G3CWI

G3CWI

Veteran
I mean the urban 'bent videos that feature 'bents, annoyed motorists and riders who seem to be under a lot of stress (judging by how they react). They make the whole experience look hugely stressful to me. I will have a look at the positive videos - thanks. I felt sure there must be lots of good points!

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I find that riding bents is far less stressful due to the extra space given by passing motorists. It's hard not to respond sometimes when close passing idiots endanger my life, and I have had far fewer bad experiences since I swapped the 'normal' bikes for 'bents a couple of years ago. In fact I post a lot less videos now, due to lack of dangerous moves by others.

byegad

Legendary Member
Five years into riding recumbent trikes only, I'd have to agree with Black Panther on the lack of incidents with other road users. In the period 2005-early 2008 I was riding DFs, a recumbent bike and a recumbent trike turn and turn about. The trike always felt safer and, after a day of riding either 'bent, going back to a DF had me flinching at the close passes that are the routine on a DF.

If you share the roads in the UK you will come across the odd looney, nut case or psychopath. But you meet far fewer of them riding a 'bent.

Most folk will stop and chat about your bent and kids stop and say : hey mister you got a SICK bike! think it means cool.

Top Bottom