Vienna to the Black Sea

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

I'm currently thinking of taking that number of days to cycle from Vienna to Belgrade. 8 days to Budapest seems quite leisurely - but then, doing it on a Brompton sounds like a very different kind of adventure. I've read about people doing that, and I've even seen tourers on Brompton, but I'd never do that myself - my Brompton is for commutes only :smile:.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Shouldn't be folly.

The Danube cruise we went on a few years ago does Budapest to Vienna in one day, going upstream. So 8 days to do it on a bike should be reasonably leisurely. Though apparently it is 180 miles along the cycle path, which means an average of 22.5 miles a day.

That's not onerous my difficulty at the moment is trying to plan the journey from the airport to the other side of the river. I'm sure I'll work it out but if anyone knows that would be helpful.

dimrub

That's not onerous my difficulty at the moment is trying to plan the journey from the airport to the other side of the river. I'm sure I'll work it out but if anyone knows that would be helpful.

You could take a train to Mitte, then start the journey from the center, that way you won't skip the Pratter, which is a lovely place.

Not at all! There's an awful lot to be said for a leisurely ride along a river.
Vienna remains one of the most romantic cities I've ever arrived into on my bike.

my Brompton is for commutes only
I have two folding bike dream tours floating around in my head. I just need to learn how to pack less for one of them ^_^

plan the journey from the airport to the other side of the river

https://cycle.travel/map should be able to help. Just make sure you use the right airport! ^_^ Don't ask!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Vienna remains one of the most romantic cities I've ever arrived into on my bike.

I have two folding bike dream tours floating around in my head. I just need to learn how to pack less for one of them ^_^

https://cycle.travel/map should be able to help. Just make sure you use the right airport! ^_^ Don't ask!

Thanks, that’s a useful map. I didn’t know about that.

dimrub

I second that (although the actual entrance into the city along the Donauradweg, coming from the West, was probably the least romantic part of that grand route).

Thanks, that’s a useful map. I didn’t know about that.
It's consistently reliable for good, safe and interesting routes. It's my goto.
As a new user you might want to pay attention to the paved/unpaved options depending on how adventurous you feel.
There are many features that make it excellent for multi-day tours.

If you have an iPhone there is also an app. (Android is on the way)

I second that (although the actual entrance into the city along the Donauradweg, coming from the West, was probably the least romantic part of that grand route).
Ah, but that was part of the seduction! ^_^ Lots of naked people sunbathing and some dereliction only served to enhance the essence ^_^
I once came across an account of someone's ride into Vienna, pretty much the same way as I approached. It was impossible to recognise the place from their description. They didn't stay, skipping the centre and heading out. Two completely different experiences of the same place.

dimrub

Ah, but that was part of the seduction! ^_^ Lots of naked people sunbathing and some dereliction only served to enhance the essence ^_^
Ah, I wish it was naked people sunbathing! It was more like an industrial zone with lots of detours, then a long and rather neglected stretch along the river, with lots of graffiti and going up and down steep ramps. But the city itself is marvelous, whether explored through walking, running, cycling or riding the ring tram.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
It's consistently reliable for good, safe and interesting routes. It's my goto.
As a new user you might want to pay attention to the paved/unpaved options depending on how adventurous you feel.
There are many features that make it excellent for multi-day tours.

If you have an iPhone there is also an app. (Android is on the way)

Thank you, I'll get the app.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I am waiting for a couple of guide books to be delivered, I was wondering if the route is well sign posted, or does become a mystery tour along the way?

I was wondering if the route is well sign posted, or does become a mystery tour along the way?
The short answer is that I don't know.
The slightly longer answer is that just because a route is signed doesn't mean that it's the best route! Sometimes the interesting places are off the route.
However, a quick look shows options that are usually close to the river so it shouldn't be that hard to navigate those. Other options, away from the river, may be more difficult.
Normally on these routes there are information boards with maps. Take a photo and you have a map for the next section.
And remember that sometimes signposts get twisted so it's always a good idea to either have a way of checking your route or embrace the mystery! ^_^
If in doubt, find the river, look what way it's flowing and go that way ^_^

River, canal and sea routes were always my favourite type of route because I could just relax and not be lost. At least not for too long. ^_^
If one of your guidebooks is a Bikeline one you won't go too far wrong.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
The short answer is that I don't know.
The slightly longer answer is that just because a route is signed doesn't mean that it's the best route! Sometimes the interesting places are off the route.
However, a quick look shows options that are usually close to the river so it shouldn't be that hard to navigate those. Other options, away from the river, may be more difficult.
Normally on these routes there are information boards with maps. Take a photo and you have a map for the next section.
And remember that sometimes signposts get twisted so it's always a good idea to either have a way of checking your route or embrace the mystery! ^_^
If in doubt, find the river, look what way it's flowing and go that way ^_^

River, canal and sea routes were always my favourite type of route because I could just relax and not be lost. At least not for too long. ^_^
If one of your guidebooks is a Bikeline one you won't go too far wrong.

Thank you.

dimrub

I created a draft of a route on Komoot, together with breakdown by days and suggested accommodations - some campings, some hotels. Here it is, in case someone might find it useful, or might want to make suggestions.

albal

Guru
I did it a while ago. Think it was signed pretty well in the east. Romania was ok. Just have to be vigilant.https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3d2&doc_id=14051&v=Dp

dimrub

I'm trying to get a sense of the route beyond Hungary (or even beyond Slovakia) and it evades me so far. What is the route like in terms of cars? I don't care much whether it's well signed - I have my Garmin for navigation - but how much of this is riding on a highway without shoulder, how much is dedicated cycling paths, and how much something in-between? @albal, your CGOAB journal actually hints towards long stretches of busy roads. What are the accommodation options like? Campings disappear from the EU-generic camping aggregators after Hungary almost entirely. Can one assume smaller camping sites, unbeknownst to the Internet, will reveal themselves on the ground? How much money in cash does one need? How much water should one carry, and whether tap water is drinkable? There are 4 countries, not counting Austria, and I guess the answeres differ depending on the country.

I'm a bit wary of this stretch, it being eastern-european, the way I wasn't when planning the Western part, which is ironic, given I grew up in East Europe myself. I'll need to reread my bikeline booklets.

Top Bottom