Vietnam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've still got 21 days holiday left to take in 2009 so was thinking maybe i'd go for a guided group cycle tour thingy somewhere in asia. Not neccessarily Vietnam, although that really appeals.

Has anyone done any of these before? If so, with what company? Any advice warmly received as i need to get my ass in gear.

Tollers

thomas

the tank engine
Xin Chào! :evil:

Go to vietnam!!!! Here are some of my holiday pics.

http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=39650

Didn't cycle (other than for 10 minutes), rented a motorbike for a day, but did have a fantastic time there!!

Spent three weeks travelling from the top to the bottom. Things are really cheap when you get there and it is a lovely country (not too touristy yet...other than on the touristy things like Ha long bay and the tunnels).

darkstar

Vietnam is a beautiful country, loved my time there. As for cycling i didn't do any, but i reckon it would be perfect. The northern area of Vietnam is fairly mountainous so if you like hills then it will be ideal, the scenery is just amazing. Just don;t go in the rainy season!!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Send a message to Keith Oates on these boards, he lives there for part of the year and knows plenty....

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't know of any group cycling tours in Vietnam but agree with the other comments that it is a good place to look around. I've met many cyclists that have been touring but they seem to be in small groups from the same home base or as individuals. The weather will start to cool down from now and through the winter so that will help but it never gets really cold except in the high mountains of the North. If you need any more specific info send me a PM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On recent trips to Asia, I've seen plenty of cyclist on organised trips, and a fair few (even an old Dutch couple) on independent tours.

The latter were on their way from Bangkok to Phnom Penh (Cambodia) and onward to Ho Chi Min City in southern Vietnam.

It would make a good trip, although the roads in Cambodia aren't the best by a long way, although they are much better in Vietnam.

aqaleigh

i met a guy in france this year while touring who had ridden most of the world and put vietnam as his number 1 place
he advised the best route was from bottom to top roads are fairly flat and good condition and hotels cheap - he was most impressed with the locals who were very friendly and helpful
he used a company called EXODUS
www.exodus.co.uk and said they were fantastic
I remembered all these details because he was so passionate for the country he convinced me I must go

have a great trip

Cathryn

Legendary Member
We did a trip round India with Exodus and they were excellent. Can't fault them. Not cheap but actually really good value.

We took our own bikes and don't regret that for a second - the mountain bikes they hired to the rest of the group were a bit clunky and heavy. Taking our own bikes out was an excellent move and well worth the additional hassle. We had two wonderful guides - they weren't regular cyclists but did brilliantly, and were locals which really made a difference. I'd wholeheartedly recommend them, and would travel with them again happily!

I think we were very lucky with the group of people on our trip - that's the one thing you have to gamble on!

goosander

Über Member
If you fancy an organised tour, there is a company called SpiceRoads that does a couple. I did the Saigon to Bangkok tour last December and enjoyed it.

Regardless of whether you choose to do an organised tour or just do a non cycling holiday, I'd recommend Vietnam.

Top Bottom