Views and experiences of the low cost Groupset brands - Sensah, LT-Woo, MicroNew etc

I bought a cheap Chinese groupset component and it is...

• Great 5/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very Good 4/5

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Good 3/5

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • OK acceptable 2/5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Junk 1/5

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wondered on people's views and experiences of these low end Groupset brands. Whose tried them and what issues they have had. Has it been a good experience or bad. Did they last, do they need regular adjustment etc.

I recently bought a LT-Woo shifter and rear derailleur from China and its still in the post but it worked out about £19.70 for the pair delivered.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08ZLV44M5/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_1?smid=A1UHTF515WSI6T&th=1

I previously bought a 11-42T 10 speed cassette from Amazon warehouse for about £16 and Amazon mistakenly sent me a Shimano chain when I ordered a cheap 10 speed generic chain for about £4 (Amazon Warehouse again) so for the groupset (minus brakes) is coming to a grand total of £40. In fact I ordered 2 generic 10 speed chains and the other chain was still the generic type so might use that instead.

I realise it lacks a clutch but I'm only planning on using it on a bike for very light off-road mainly gravel as well as road. It will be a 1x setup.

Obviously 10 speed needs fairly good tolerances, its a tighter tolerance than 8 or 9 speed with thinner cogs. I'm in no doubt there may be issues both shifting reliably and in lifespan. We shall see but just wondered about other people's experiences.

Please don't include fake components as those are typically very low quality.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Can't say I've tried it, but let us know how you get on. Some cheap 1x square taper cranksets as well.

OP
OP
B
Not sure which crankset I will be using I have both types. I've a feeling the frame won't take anything too large with regard the chainring without taking it out too far away from the correct chainline so I think it may end up with a hollowtech compatible crankset possibly with a oval 38T chainring I have.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I realise it lacks a clutch but I'm only planning on using it on a bike for very light off-road mainly gravel as well as road. It will be a 1x setup..

Bikes have got on perfectly well without derailleur clutches. In fact they still do. None of my bike derailleurs have clutches. Riding technical off road with a derailleur without a clutch is perfectly fine.

OP
OP
B
Bikes have got on perfectly well without derailleur clutches. In fact they still do. None of my bike derailleurs have clutches. Riding technical off road with a derailleur without a clutch is perfectly fine.

Should be hopefully although I've seen a few low end derailleurs that don't have a very powerful spring in them, Tourney etc which probably aren't really up to any real off-road use. I do agree with your comment overall though. We will see how it goes.

OP
OP
B
Turned up a couple of days ago. Not fitted yet. The shifter looks decently made although slightly unattractive compared to the Shimano and Microshift variants. The rear derailleur feels very nice overall and much better made than expected. Visually at least I feel a Microshift or MicroNew shifter would better match the derailleur visually.

s-l500.jpg

OP
OP
B
Currently the same seller has a 10% off code with a price below £18 so less than £16 delivered for the pair. You can get a 11-36T 10 speed cassette from aliexpress for about £14 including VAT delivered so in theory a few pence less than £30 for the set ready to upgrade (or downgrade depending on your viewpoint) a bike from maybe 8/16/24 or 9/18/27 to 10/20/30 speed. Oh wait forgot you'll need a chain too.

Top Bottom