Viking Ascot Tandem- anyone got one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
For comparison I did the same route last night on my road bike, 27 miles in 1 hour 42 [return leg 47 minutes at 17.2mph but no tea and cakee] compared to 2 hours 10 minutes round trip on the tandem [with rest stops].

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

I bought a second (third, fourth, fifth...) hand Pashley D-type last year. Mrs Cisamcgu and I have had some fun on it, once I managed to tension the rear wheel, but we spend a lot more time on our normal bikes. I think it might have been a better idea to spend more and get a better one, one with index gears for instance (bloomin' hard to glance at the sprockets on a tandem, so it would be nice if the gear changes when positive rather than vague and occasionally grinding), but we didn't know if we were going to like it, so £135 seemed a better spend than £300+.. in hindsight, now we know we like it, it probably wasn't the best plan .. :smile:

I would love to get a good one, since the Pashley worries me really, I have horrible thoughts of it "falling to bits" when we are 20 miles away from home .. :sad: But, it is hard to justify the expense ...

oh well...

Anyway, A_T, sorry to kidnap your thread for a few minutes .. I'm glad you are having fun - it is good isn't it :smile:
It's brilliant. We'll get an upgrade one day but for now it's great. Gives me a good work-out and MrsA_T and I get to go places that she wouldn't enjoy doing on her own as much. Best of both worlds!

My better half (captain) and friend (stoker) at start of Channel 50 Cycle Challenge to raise money for Pilgrims Hospices & Help for Heroes
sheepish.jpg

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Tandemed with MrsA_T to Wallington via Belsay and Bolam for picnic and home via Hartburn and Whalton. 33.6 miles- furthest yet. 36.7mph on longest =ownhill!

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Furthest so far 34 miles up to Wallington via Cambo... took a long detour on the way back avoiding a very steep bit!

Free teas in the National Trust cafe for arriving on a bike which was a nice touch!

Got lots of attention from children [and dads] asking about the tandem- it does bring out people's curiosity... and lots of smiles!

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

22 miles today up to Bolam for a sandwich and back. Tail wind home so over 15mph average home and 13.5 for the ride! + sun broke out on way home.

markharry66

Über Member
Nice mate, looks nice bike viking bikes are nice. If not a bit heavy if you can live with that they ride well and last.

OP
OP
Archie_tect

Archie_tect

Thanks PR, nearest LBS to us is The Bicycle Repairman in Prudhoe- good to know Nenthead has one, but the ride up out of Nenthead would be a killer start!

Ah, I've missed this thread!
We have a Viking Tarantino, which is a great starting tandem and has done us really well for nearly 4 years! Things changed have been a front wheel, timing chain, and tyres/tubes. We have to leave it outside, covered, and we had very minimal rides in 2014, but we're back on this year, only 6 rides so far, longest of 20 miles. Weekday 'after-work' rides this week have been only 6 miles each, but we're getting 'bike-fit' now, and looking for some longer localish rides very soon!

n.mca

Hey, thought I would wade in -> Bought a Viking Ascot a year or so ago and took it for several rides round the surrey hills (~500 miles) then cycled to Santander from Guildford (~1200 miles) with camping gear and two blokes on it. Held up ok to some pretty serious abuse (outside for a month) but we did break the back wheel. Overall, pretty bloody happy because we paid around 450 GBP for it.

BambiLegs

Newbie on here and just found this thread. Bought a new Viking Ascot at a very very reasonable price at the end of last year so that myself and Mrs BambiLegs could get out together. Unfortunately she is currently recovering from a hand op so we haven't put many miles on it. Seems an ok bike for the price once I'd put some time into getting it assembled correctly, needs some upgrades but they'll come as we get the set up right for her and put some miles on. Keep up the posts Mr A_T, you are in my neck of the woods so good to see some potential routes and commentary.

Top Bottom