viking goldstar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

davidphilips

Veteran
Any one know if an old viking goldstar is worth anything? Or indeed if one is worth restoring?

A 1976 goldstar was given to a friend who just wanted the pedals and he passed it on to me, dont really know what to do with it , put it back to drop bars and fix up a bit or just put some cheap pedals on it and hand it into a charity shop any views welcome.

Another thought is maybe just take the 27 inch wheels in case i get an older bike and scrap the rest?

Attachments

• 100_8492[1].JPG
    100_8492[1].JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_8493[1].JPG
    100_8493[1].JPG
    269.7 KB · Views: 150
  • 100_8494[1].JPG
    100_8494[1].JPG
    192 KB · Views: 186

Drago

Legendary Member
Not that old, not historically significant, therefore probably not worth a great deal in financial terms.

Doesn't look like it would take much to return it to good order. Do that, use it, keep it tidy, and in another 40 year it might become valuable.

Unlikely to be a 1976 bike with that rear mech, though that could well be a later modification

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/British_isles/Viking/Viking.htm

Last edited:

S-Express

worth anything?

Most things are worth something, but in this case, it won't be very much. In terms of old bikes, unless it has Colnago or Hetchins (maybe a couple of others) on the downtube, it will only ever be worth what someone is prepared to pay.

It looks a bit like the gold one in the classicrendevous site. If you did it up and rode it you might be surprised as to how well old steel bikes ride.
It looks quite good and with a bit of TLC it might grow on you.

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies and advice, another bike (frame and some bits) turned up so i may just let the viking go, any one live near bangor N/ireland is more than welcome to a free viking otherwise its for the charity shop.

Latest project ( given to me today by same friend ) is a viscount theres shimano 600 derailleurs needs wheels, chain, brake blocks , bar tape and chain, maybe a few bits and bobs most of which i may have as spares so its goodbye viking.

Attachments

• 100_8495[1].JPG
    100_8495[1].JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 100_8496[1].JPG
    100_8496[1].JPG
    238.3 KB · Views: 118
That Viking belongs to the second era of the marque, when they were built in Londonderry/Derry. A proper bike, which I suspect once had dropped bars and was modified. They are distantly related to the Viscount as that brand was created by people who had previously worked at the original Viking factory in Wolverhampton. None of these are to be confused with the poor quality offerings that are assembled under the Viking name today.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That Viking belongs to the second era of the marque, when they were built in Londonderry/Derry. A proper bike, which I suspect once had dropped bars and was modified. They are distantly related to the Viscount as that brand was created by people who had previously worked at the original Viking factory in Wolverhampton. None of these are to be confused with the poor quality offerings that are assembled under the Viking name today.

i know which one i would choose

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
Just a few more pictures of both the viking and the now built up viscount, Still dont know what to do with the viking no one seems to want it , the viscount seems a nice bike to ride not worth any thing it only cost some time and less than £10 in parts just have to fit a longer chain and one cable.

Attachments

• 100_8500[1].JPG
    100_8500[1].JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 119
  • 100_8501[1].JPG
    100_8501[1].JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 100_8497[1].JPG
    100_8497[1].JPG
    235 KB · Views: 101
  • 100_8498[1].JPG
    100_8498[1].JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_8499[1].JPG
    100_8499[1].JPG
    233.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Just a few more pictures of both the viking and the now built up viscount, Still dont know what to do with the viking no one seems to want it , the viscount seems a nice bike to ride not worth any thing it only cost some time and less than £10 in parts just have to fit a longer chain and one cable.
is the headbadge a pressed steel item or a flat printed job?

OP
OP
davidphilips

davidphilips

Veteran
is the headbadge a pressed steel item or a flat printed job?

Good question, looks like a very thick tin foil or very thin alloy but not a steel badge, Its still available if anyone wants it as i have far to many projects and wonder why i even put the time into the viscount as i know full well that i would never want to use a bike with center pull brakes had a scare with delta type brakes not so long ago and will stay with dual pivot calipers.

Sorry if my view of older type brakes offends anyone, its only my view and i am sure they have been used and put to good use for many years.

@davidphilips The truth of it is that brakes in the old days basically didn't work! Mafacs were the best there was, and they were poor by today's standards. (Though, on reflection the Universals on my original Viking Severn Valley were OK too.)
If you really wanted to know about not stopping, the best combination was GB brakes with Dunlop steel rims in the rain. Pulling on the levers was little more than a suggestion.

Top Bottom