viking ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodbutcher

Veteran
l have seen a bicycle for sale, described as a Viking (no other description) it has a cottered chainset and as far as l can tell no lugs just the tubes connected with no obvious weld or join. lt looks quite elegant, even sophisticated but l can't find out anything from the Viking website because all of the examples shown have lugs. Can anyone shed any light ?

Sharky

Guru

Viking are basically a run of the mill mid range bike company

Frames made in Taiwan or similar and then built to a reasonable spec.

Not realy any better or any worse than others

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Viking are basically a run of the mill mid range bike company

Frames made in Taiwan or similar and then built to a reasonable spec.

Not realy any better or any worse than others
I was intrigued by the fact that there are no lugs, is it unusual for a steel bike or would it be because the frame is aluminium ?

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Its a vintage bike
This has no relationship to the modern day Viking that @Cunobelin describes, they are IMO cheap and quite nasty.
Old vintage Vikings are well regarded. I don't know about lugless Viking frames but not all old bikes were built with lugs. It sounds nice, I'd be interested to see some pics and see what components it has.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Thanks for the info, l think it is interesting, have a look for yourselfhttp://www.ebay.fr/itm/222454313085?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
This has no relationship to the modern day Viking that @Cunobelin describes, they are IMO cheap and quite nasty.
Old vintage Vikings are well regarded. I don't know about lugless Viking frames but not all old bikes were built with lugs. It sounds nice, I'd be interested to see some pics and see what components it has.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Last edited:
OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
Probably worth the 16 Euro but I think I would avoid. Really low end components and not the traditional scripted font 'viking' logo. I'd be interested to hear other people's opinions but for me not worth spending money on.
Hmmm. l did wonder if those decals were a very new addition for "added value" reasons ! Thanks for the advice .

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
First lugless Viking i have ever seen , wonder if from same firm ?

As per @Spiderweb said better bikes out there but if it what you want then go for it
I will keep an eye on its progress but the Fiorelli l just bought hasn't arrived yet so l need to see if l made a rash decision regarding that one before l do anything about the "viking"^_^

Top Bottom