Vinonomics = the price of wine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
This topic oft rears it's head here. This graphic from Decanter gives the real numbers and shows the extra value in the wine as price increases.
£5 = 47p wine cost & £2.87 tax
£7.50 = £1.61 wine cost & £3.30 tax

http://www.decanter.com/news/wine-n...-freeze?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Vinonomics-2015.jpg

It's a bit like group sets: tiagra/105/Ultegra/Dura ace - they all look the same and do the same thing but.....

Last edited:
Nah Vinonimics is Jeremy using his 10yo daughter to avoid tax surely? Or to keep it the family is it best laugh for least effort from brother Tim?

Which is why I say you should always buy a bottle of wine costing more than £6. This is the price where half of that goes to the Chancellor and half is split elsewhere. It has been this way since the insidious 'duty escalator' was introduced a few years back. Good to see the Chancellor putting a hold on this - at least for one year.
And why I would always suggest paying more than £6.95 in order to get something resembling a decent glass of wine.
Not that I'm biased, of course!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Which is why I say you should always buy a bottle of wine costing more than £6. This is the price where half of that goes to the Chancellor and half is split elsewhere. It has been this way since the insidious 'duty escalator' was introduced a few years back. Good to see the Chancellor putting a hold on this - at least for one year.
And why I would always suggest paying more than £6.95 in order to get something resembling a decent glass of wine.
Not that I'm biased, of course!
I've had plenty of decent wine for under a fiver a bottle. Once went to a wine tasting evening, where I pretended my wine had cost 12 quid for the bottle. We were voting on the best wine of the evening. Mine won. Then I came clean, and let everyone know the truth, it was £4.99 from Lidl.

I used to live in Spain too. Loads of great wine for tuppence, basically.

British wine buyers get ripped off, and they love it. :okay::okay:

U

User169

To make it worse I've just menched Waitrose, sigh...

You're barred!

Tin Pot

Guru
So where is the vineyard that'll sell me the £20 bottle for £7.17 and I'll drive over with a case of empties.

Top Bottom