Vintage barn find identification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Hi,
I'm looking for any help with identifying and dating this barn find. Currently not sure whether to restore it or turn it into a polo bike tbh.
Wheel size is 26" x 1 1/4". There are three gears on a freewheel at the rear, and a single chainring up front. From what I can make out, changing gear revolved around loosening the wingnuts on the rear axle and manually flicking the chain to the required cog and re-tighten / tension. Can't see any provision for a rear mech of any sort.
There are no markings I can make out. Flipping the bike, the underside of the bottom bracket just has a simple stamp on the RHS, no numbers. Winged drop bars also deviod of any markings, and hubs too far gone to pick out any markings.
Any ideas on it's background? 26" seems a tad odd size. When did derailiers come in? Or maybe it's just been bastardised before I got it??

I've taken a few pics here..

https://flic.kr/s/aHskmqkYS9

Any thoughts are welcome. Cheers.

paul-kent

Can't help you but it's very very nice

OP
OP
Biscuit

Biscuit

Legendary Member
Done some research on line this afternoon. I'm leaning toward restoration I think. Interesting reading so far. SJS cycles ever helpful of course, and bits and pieces cropping up on ebay too.
I just have to get the frame over to the paint sprayers I use in Bury St Eds and start from there. I'm guessing black would be the colour to go for. :-)

Gatters

I reckon it would have had a derailleur, who in their right mind would consider stopping and undoing the wheel...etc as a suitable method of gearchange

OP
OP
Biscuit

Biscuit

Legendary Member
I reckon it would have had a derailleur, who in their right mind would consider stopping and undoing the wheel...etc as a suitable method of gearchange

Yeah my thoughts too. Except why the big wingnut affair on the rear axle?. Anyhow.. there are 3 speed simplex rear mechs about that might do. Although there's no evidence of running it up to the front under the BB. No obvious markings on the frame or handlebars etc. Dunno? I'll keep looking I guess.

classic33

Leg End Member
There was the option of a two speed fixed.
Undo the back wheel, flip it round, and use the other gear.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks nice , why repaint ?

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Those rear wing nuts are usually used like a modern day quick release as you didn't need any tools. I'm guessing you may even have a flip flop rear hub. It may have had a cyclo Benelux rear deralliuer or something similar. If that is a Williams crank you can get a date from the code.

Top Bottom