Vintage Battery Cycle Lamps Restoration Modification

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Well I finished one of those lamps in high chrome effect powder yesterday... and it was, quite frankly, rubbish! :laugh:

Those chrome effect coatings are fine for candy finishes (like the Raleigh Eighteen I did recently), but no good on their own.

Never mind; I've got oodles of lamps and an entire spectrum of coloured powders to throw at them. Including, a silver hammered finish, which @raleighnut quite rightly identifies as the authentic aesthetic.

It's a bit off topic I know, but I've also picked up a couple of cool retro torches ('flashlights' for our colonial cousins); a Pifco Superbeam and an Ever Ready Space Beam. They're made largely of pressed steel, and should freshen up a treat.
I had them on my 'works vehicle' a Co-op delivery bike in 1974.

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

This one’s for good Sir knight @Drago. Behold, Excalibur !
DC919814-632D-432C-9D5F-EA8944AA8A62.jpeg

Pneumatic AND hydraulic - hoo-ah !

I used to use the EverReady metal one as well as a chrome dynamo set. I have very little nostalgia for these lumps that barely remove any dark. Can you fit them with lithium batteries and LED bulbs?

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Took a snap of that rubbish ‘chrome’ effort, just before I chucked it in the scrap bin. Today’s bright sunshine is doing it a lot of favours; trust me it’s rubbish :blush:
782C1D82-E0DC-48E6-B702-1223EC89C5C4.jpeg

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Ok, so that’s that. Ever Ready battery bicycle lamp, restomodified.

Process: Dismantle, Blast, Powder Coat, Reassemble.

Mods: Type 800 vintage battery adapter & 3 volt LED replacement bulb.

Difficulty: Moderate

Was it worth it? : I guess so, yes. If you absolutely, positively have to have one of these old lamps; perhaps to meet the scrutiny of a historically conscious cycling event; than yes. Otherwise, NO !

OP
OP
Survivor Bikes

Survivor Bikes

Great work, looks brilliant!

I recon it’s worth about £50-£60
Aw cheers mate. I think I’ll do the odd one occasionally, to add a bit of extra value to a complete bike project.

Speaking of which, new R20 project coming soon. (The theme I have in mind may prove a little controversial).

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Top Bottom