Vintage Bertin track frame, need help with French bb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I was recently given a Bertin track frame and was planning on building it up as a winter beater single speed/fixed (it’s in pretty poor condition paint-wise and has some surface rust but structurally sound and has some nice lugs). I have zero experience with French bikes or bike building in general, and realise that since it’s French it might be more trouble than it’s worth in terms of components but was looking for advice on the bb anyways. The only cartridge bb I can find with French thread is the one from Velo Orange; the only measurements I have for the bb shell are ‘35x24 French threaded.‘ will the Velo Orange bb be suitable for this build or will I need to take more measurements before buying it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The only other thing you need to check is the BB width, should be 68mm for road bikes. If the velo orange is 68 you should be okay.

VO will fit fine. The only thing to be careful of is getting the right axle length and taper (it’s hard to go wrong with the taper nowadays, almost every thing is JIS)
I turned an old threadless Mavic bb up before, then remembered why I stopped using it, creaky old thing.

OP
OP
I
The only other thing you need to check is the BB width, should be 68mm for road bikes. If the velo orange is 68 you should be okay.
Thanks for the reply, will check
Or buy a threadless bottom bracket.?
Or buy a threadless bottom bracket.?
If that’s an option I’m definitely interested. Would it just be a case of finding a threadless bb of the correct width and spindle length?

Top Bottom