Vintage Bob Jackson for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Padraig

I was agonizing over whether to sell this bike or not, but I've finally decided it has to go. It's the only one of my bikes which is actually worth anything; and, as the most recently acquired, the one I'm least attached to. I got this last spring. I took it completely to pieces and rebuilt it. All the parts which routinely wear out have been replaced with new items. I fitted new tyres, tubes, rim tapes, brake blocks, cables, chain, rear derailleur, chainset and 5-speed freewheel. I bought the latter new in Cardigan in 2006 for my Dawes, but never fitted it. It's a Shimano one, with a range of 14 to 28 teeth, so essentially a touring block. With the single alloy 46 tooth chainset fitted to the Bob Jackson, it gives a good spread of gear ratios. The downtube gear lever is one of Campagnolo's better designs, with the knurled tension adjuster, and works very well.

The bike was built in 1971, confirmed by the makers from the frame number. The frame is Reynolds 531 DB, and measures 57 cm or 22.5 inches from the centre of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat lug. Frame angles are quite steep. I usually take a frame about an inch taller than this, but the Bob Jackson fits me perfectly. The forks are fully sloping, and the lugs are a plain but very elegant spearpoint design. The seat stays are shot-in. The headset is Campagnolo, as are the fork ends and the Allen key seat post bolt. Handlebars are Cinelli Campione del Mondo with a Cinelli round logo stem. As the photo shows, I haven't wrapped the bars yet, but will do this for a purchaser if he doesn't mind black cloth tape, or he can have two rolls of tape if he prefers to do this himself. The brakes are a Universal Super 68 at the front, and a Weinmann 730 rear. Brake levers are Weinmann. It came with Campag Athena levers, and I'll throw these in if the buyer wants them, but I think they can only be used with the cables taped to the bars, which is how I got it. The pedals cost about £3 from Wilkinsons, and I got them to road test it, then just kept them on. It came with a pair of Campag platform pedals, which I'll include if a buyer wants them. They needed stripping down, cleaning and re-greasing, which I never got around to.

As presently set up, my understanding is that it would be eligible for L'Eroica and similar events. The saddle is a modern one, but one of the most comfortable I've ever come across. I hadn't ridden the bike until after I rebuilt it, and was slightly apprehensive about whether it would have any handling quirks. I needn't have worried. The frame and forks are absolutely straight and true, and it rides very well. I rode it a bit last summer, but a minor health problem intervened, and I've only been on it a couple of times this year. Hence all the new parts only have a small amount of mileage on them. I'm very satisfied with how it's turned out. I'd like something in the region of £350 for it, but I'm open to realistic and sensible offers. Reason for selling is that we plan to move back to Wales next spring, and I have too many bikes. If I can sell the Bob Jackson, this will give me space to build up my Dawes, a project which has been put on the long finger, as we say in Ireland. I'm located about ten miles from Liverpool, and about twenty from Manchester. I don't want to ship the bike because I have no idea how to pack it so it would arrive undamaged, and I'd also prefer a potential buyer to ride the bike and submit it to any examination he wants, then declare himself (or herself, of course) satisfied with it. If anyone is interested, get in touch by the private message system and let me have an email address. I'll get back to you with the full specification and more photographs. If you would like a close-up of any part of it, let me know.

j8zdat.jpg

Last edited:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Very nice indeed. Is it original paint?

OP
OP
P

Padraig

Regarding the paint, it isn't the original from 1971. The seat tube transfer reads "Reynolds 531 cycle tube respray." Thus, I suppose, confirming that whoever carried out the respray had seen the original 531 transfer. As to the chainset. When I acquired the Bob Jackson, it was my intention to build it up as a single-speed. I asked the chap in a bike shop I frequented to recommend a chainset for single-speed use, and he suggested this one. It looked a bit odd to me too at the time, because the crank arms are unusually wide, but I suppose it's a modern look, and it does the job. Anyway, I couldn't get the chain tension as precise as I wanted it, even with a half link, so I built it up as a five-speed instead. I've never been keen on a lot of gears. I've always found five adequate. I've attached another photograph which shows the chainset more clearly.

wikr4z.jpg

OP
OP
P

Padraig

Bearing in mind the amounts people ask for Bob Jacksons, or even Bob Jackson framesets, on a certain internet auction site, I didn't think £350 was excessive. Although there is clearly scope for upgrading some components, the bike as it stands is fully sorted and rides very well, and I went to a lot of trouble to get everything adjusted spot-on. However, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that I might be prepared to exchange it for something, or at least accept something in part-exchange plus a lesser sum of money. My other main interest is hi-fi. I'd quite like a better turntable than the one I've got, or a decent valve amplifier, particularly an oldish one. Another possibility is a good short wave receiver, since my old one packed up last year. I also like books, especially first editions, prints, pictures, clocks, and vintage mechanical or electrical items. I don't think it would be wise to consider a swap for another bike, or I'd have Herself on me case in a big way, and rightly so. So how about it, folks? Make me an offer I can't refuse.

OP
OP
P

Padraig

I've advertised this elsewhere at £350, but I've more or less decided to start using it and get some exercise, despite the time of year. I didn't want all the new parts to start showing signs of age, but I might as well get something back for my investment. However, as I've found this forum so welcoming and civilised (unlike a certain other forum which I won't name, where people issue death threats at the drop of a hat), I'm going to reduce my asking price to £295 or a very near offer. I'll see if there's any interest for about a week, then start using it.

Top Bottom