Vintage Falcon road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice example and just my size too!

midlife

Guru
Lets see those vintage Falcon road bikes. Here is mine to start the thread

298 Super Pro if memory serves :smile:

Here's my pink Falcon San Remo

a4bzt3-jpg.jpg

midlife

Guru
Yes 1979 Super Pro. That’s a very nice San Remo Equipe frame, what year is that?
I wonder how many San Remo and Super pro bikes they sold back it the day?

The San Remo will be circa 1975, and yep it's the Equipe, you obviously know your Falcon's :smile:

I acquired it via Billy Holmes who was our Falcon rep back then, real nice bloke. I didn't fancy the team blu so it was taken off the production line and sent somewhere for painting, never found out where. The pink should be the same as the pink decal Falcon used with Giro D'italia on it. The decals on my Falcon are completely wrong.

The Falcon was my road bike, in the pic you can see my TT bike, a Kevin Sayles Bob Jackson.

As a company Falcon seemed somewhat amateurish lol .We were a Raleigh 5 star dealer but sold other marques such as Falcon, Dawes, Puch, Holdsworth etc.

When you unboxed a Falcon you were never sure what would be revealed lol and their frame numbers were a total mystery!

How many did they sell, not many at all would be my guess. Their big seller at my era would have been lower down the price range, Black Diamond etc.

Here's me on my Falcon in anger at the Spout Hill climb .
11lju3r-jpg.jpg

Any more pics of yours

Cheers

Shaun

OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
The San Remo will be circa 1975, and yep it's the Equipe, you obviously know your Falcon's :smile:

I acquired it via Billy Holmes who was our Falcon rep back then, real nice bloke. I didn't fancy the team blu so it was taken off the production line and sent somewhere for painting, never found out where. The pink should be the same as the pink decal Falcon used with Giro D'italia on it. The decals on my Falcon are completely wrong.

The Falcon was my road bike, in the pic you can see my TT bike, a Kevin Sayles Bob Jackson.

As a company Falcon seemed somewhat amateurish lol .We were a Raleigh 5 star dealer but sold other marques such as Falcon, Dawes, Puch, Holdsworth etc.

When you unboxed a Falcon you were never sure what would be revealed lol and their frame numbers were a total mystery!

How many did they sell, not many at all would be my guess. Their big seller at my era would have been lower down the price range, Black Diamond etc.

View attachment 395502

Any more pics of yours

Cheers

Shaun

I think your right about not many high end Falcon bikes being made. Bitd I understand that dealers would get a Super Pro in stock, but would often be unable to get another.
High end Falcon bikes seem even harder to find now. I have only seen one San Remo Equipe for sale in recent years. That was
a black and white bike from the sixties, it was a small frame though. Never seen another Super Pro for sale, although Pro models
seem to turn up occasionally.
I’ll see what pictures I have, maybe take a couple more at the weekend. Do you have any other pictures of the San Remo built up?

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
True about the higher end Falcon models, they were always in short supply. When Andy Thompson (frame builder fame) went in to wind the operation down I believe it was in a bit of a state!

There are few photos of me or my bikes, it's just not something we did. Twas expensive and usually reserved for holidays. Hull Thursday had its own "photographer" who did it as a hobby and had his own darkroom which is where my photo came from.

I sort of gave up cycling when I had to think about job, career etc and my bikes were dismantled and stored in my garage in Hull circa 1982, they surfaced again about 2002 when I settled here in Cumbria. Not everything re-surfaced :sad:

I have been tinkering ever since, if I want to go for a spin I have my alu-carbon Basso :smile:

PHL67

Veteran
IMG_2894.JPG
I have an ec72 in bits waiting for paint shop. Came with Campagnolo shifter and rear derailleur.

Will post some pictures of frame once I can get to shed.

Hobbled to shed and managed to get picture.

Last edited:
OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
View attachment 396431

View attachment 395502

Any more pics of yours

Cheers

Shaun

Picture of other side of bike.

OP
OP
southcoast

southcoast

Über Member
Yes that’s correct no braze ons all ciip on cable guides. All Campagnolo except the top tube guides are Dura Ace! Cut out lugs with heart shape on top. RGF bottom bracket.
PS That blue Super Pro you posted on Retrobike I believe is 1978 different lugs and rear dropout. I’ve never seen one before.

midlife

Guru
Typical Falcon with no Braze ons, the ladies who built the frames were not taught to do them at the time........Falcon said it was to give every opportunity to use the full Campag range including all their clips.

Some of the Super Pro models came with really odd rear dropouts where the hole for the mudguard bolt was on the inside. Again typical Falcon just using what they had around the workshop or could get cheap!

I must read the book by Ernie Clements brother sometime. There are also some rare Falcon badged Italian made frames kicking about, they were allegedly found when the factory closed and were flogged off. All chrome rear triangle iirc.

Top Bottom