Vintage holdsworth Racer with badge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BexsiG

Regular
Hello

I have acquired my grandfather’s (he is now aged 93) holdsworth Racer with badge and original components. I’d like to do it up either to sell as I don’t have the space or most likely keep for my son. Where do I start and are there any books/ sites you can recommend so I know what cleaning products to use / not use I am a complete novice to restoration . Thank you

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Can you post a few pictures, including the frame lugs? If you can find the frame number (usually on a rear dropout) this will also help. Then we can at least tell you what it is.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you just want to price it go on eBay and look for similar bikes to see what they go for. Alternatively advertise it on here but be warned we're a notoriously mean lot.
A few pics on here would elicit a few stabs at a price. I should just give it a clean, many enthusiasts like a project.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
If you just want to price it go on eBay and look for similar bikes to see what they go for. Alternatively advertise it on here but be warned we're a notoriously mean lot.

I prefer the term realistic. It's January, when the post-Xmas financial hangovers kick in for many people, the weather isn't great, and old steel bikes are generally not fetching good prices anyway unless they are something really out of the ordinary. Just because you may see vintage sports bikes listed on eBay at high prices doesn't mean this is what they will actually sell at. Even if you search for sold listings, that still doesn't tell the full story. I recently bought a full Reynolds 531 throughout frame project for less than the start bid price, by making the seller an offer, but if you were to do a sold item search it would give the impression the price achieved was the start price, when it was actually less than that.

A few pics on here would elicit a few stabs at a price. I should just give it a clean, many enthusiasts like a project.

I wouldn't buy anything that looks deliberately cleaned up for sale, if I want a project to play with. Cleaning up a bike doesn't magically reverse all the mechanical wear & tear it will have suffered during it's lifetime. I prefer to buy stuff in as dragged out of the shed/garage/bottom of the garden condition.

OP
OP
B

BexsiG

Regular
Can you post a few pictures, including the frame lugs? If you can find the frame number (usually on a rear dropout) this will also help. Then we can at least tell you what it is.

what an enormous delay since my first questions, sorry
Here is the bike, not sure what is of interest to date it etc so I have taken lots of pics of components
Is it worth keeping and doing up?
I havent really got space but if its a keeper then I will of course shift a few things around and invest the time for my son

many thanks for any advice

Attachments

• Holdsworth 1.JPG
    Holdsworth 1.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Holdsworth 2.JPG
    Holdsworth 2.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Holdsworth 3.JPG
    Holdsworth 3.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 37
  • Holdsworth 4.JPG
    Holdsworth 4.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Holdsworth 5.JPG
    Holdsworth 5.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Holdsworth 6.JPG
    Holdsworth 6.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Holdsworth 13.JPG
    Holdsworth 13.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 33
  • Holdsworth 14.JPG
    Holdsworth 14.JPG
    147.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Holdsworth 16.JPG
    Holdsworth 16.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Holdsworth7.JPG
    Holdsworth7.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
B

BexsiG

Regular
and 6 more cannot see and frame numbers

Attachments

• Holdsworth8.JPG
    Holdsworth8.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Holdsworth9.JPG
    Holdsworth9.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Holdsworth10.JPG
    Holdsworth10.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Holdsworth11.JPG
    Holdsworth11.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Holsdworth12.JPG
    Holsdworth12.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 13
  • Holsdworth15.JPG
    Holsdworth15.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 13

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I'm wondering if the frame has been powder coated in the past . The lack of any transfers, the monochrome colour and the way that the paint is peeling on the dropout makes me think this.
If it has been powder coated it will probably have been sand blasted first, wouldn't it? If so there won't be any rust hiding under the paintwork. It does look as if a good clean and lubrication is all it needs. Decals can be bought to replace the lost ones, then it will look the part.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hard to be sure without a close inspection, but that looks like a mid to late 70s Holdsworthy era bike. Very similar to the Claud butler's of the era, which were made by the same folk.

Very good, usuable bikes. Not worth a fortune - I was not long back actually given a 531 CB equivalent - but in good, clean original condition it might go for the 150-200 mark with the right buyer.

Alas, it isn't original and has been refinished at some time. I'd be inclined to spend the time an effort returning it to good order and keep it for your lad. It would make a lovely memento amd has the potential to last until he's ready to hand it down to his grandchildren.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Rust spreads like wildfire under powdercoat, unless it was done really well. Look at any older Brompton. The rear triangles crumble to nothing under the polyester coating.

Top Bottom