Vintage Ian May road bike for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AliG

I have had my Ian May bike for about 15 years now but buying a new bike forces it’s sale.
It is in good condition but will require a service before being declared safe and roadworthy.
If you are interested in its purchase then please let me know and a sale price I’m sure can be agreed.

Attachments

• B09EF66D-EAB9-43E2-AFC7-2AAD35EE4925.jpeg
    B09EF66D-EAB9-43E2-AFC7-2AAD35EE4925.jpeg
    241.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 49FA67A1-9243-401B-B4AB-2E9FBAB52D00.jpeg
    49FA67A1-9243-401B-B4AB-2E9FBAB52D00.jpeg
    240.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 9A151DE9-79D6-4532-AA0A-9F72782A463C.jpeg
    9A151DE9-79D6-4532-AA0A-9F72782A463C.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 42

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@AliG depending on location and price deffo interested .

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have had my Ian May bike for about 15 years now but buying a new bike forces it’s sale.
It is in good condition but will require a service before being declared safe and roadworthy.
If you are interested in its purchase then please let me know and a sale price I’m sure can be agreed.
Very nice, you'll have no problem selling that lovely bike.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
There's two types of Ian Mays, the ones he definitely built himself and the ones that were probably built within the trade for him and then sold as Ian Mays. All nice bikes, but that has a bearing on the collectability, with the ones having the IMCxxx frame numbers being more desirable.
I own an Ian May 531 tourer, but it is probably a rebadged frame not a self-build.

OP
OP
AliG

AliG

Firstly, thank you for posting your replies.
I’ve just had a more detailed look at the bike following the replies posted above.
The information I’ve gathered is as follows:
There is a frame number 4576 stamped on the pedal hub.
It has 2 triangular badges on it; one is on the seat tube and labelled with: Manufactured by Reynolds Limited, Birmingham, England with 531 embossed on it. The second is on the front fork with what could be 571.
It has Campagnolo pedal arms and Sun Tour Campagnolo gears.
The rolled handlebars are stamped with “Criterium” & the front & rear brake handles are stamped with MAFAG France.
So can anyone tell me whether it’s worth restoration/ resale?
Regards Alan

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Forgot to answer the question, where am I based? On the Wirral, by Chester.
Too far for me.
If it's 4576 with no IMC prefix then it's doubtful that it's an Ian May built frame so would have been made elsewhere and had Ian May Decals applied .
As for value £75 - 175 area

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The bike was made just down the road then, because the Ian May shop was in Bebington, Wirral. Unfortunately the chap died a few years back and the shop subsequently closed.
The frame will be entirely of Reynolds 531 mang-moly steel tubing, once pretty much the default standard for a high quality lugged frame. The serial number suggests it was built elsewhere in the framebuilding trade then assembled and badged by Ian May himself.
It's definitely worth something, but you won't make any more profit on it by restoring it for sale, as the cost of doing it would exceed the uplift in value. From the photos it looks fairly tidy, so its worth whatever you can get for it in it's current condition, bearing in mind the range of values Mr Biggs has mentioned. These sort of bikes are appreciated by fans of vintage steel machines, but they are not generally bought much these days by mainstream buyers as the mass market has gone over to aluminium and carbon fibre frames.

midlife

Guru
It's worth more in bits but that's a real hassle to break and sell The chainset is Victory, shifters simplex retrofriction, stem and bars cinelli, the seatpost looks nice, the levers are drilled Mafac. Rear mech Suntour, Not sure but the wheels look campag hubs...... And then there is the frame.

£120 to £150 as whole bike is reasonable?

OP
OP
AliG

AliG

Thank you all so much for your informed and expert feedback. I have learnt more about this bike since joining this forum than I knew since I first had it.
Any advice on how\ where I would best sell it?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Ebay would give you the widest audience, but you'd have to pay the sellers fees plus possibly also deal with timewasters and idiots. You know, non-payers who win an auction or say they'll give you cash on collection but fail to show up.
A post in the vintage classifieds section on this forum or on the Retrobike forum would be targeted directly at the sort of person who would actually appreciate what the bike is and be specifically looking for one like it. If you're honest about the description and condition you are unlikely to have any problem with a forum buyer as they will know what they are buying and what sort of condition is realistic for a 35 year old machine.

There's two types of Ian Mays, the ones he definitely built himself and the ones that were probably built within the trade for him and then sold as Ian Mays. All nice bikes, but that has a bearing on the collectability, with the ones having the IMCxxx frame numbers being more desirable.
I own an Ian May 531 tourer, but it is probably a rebadged frame not a self-build.

That's interesting to know. He made my first custom bike when I was 18. Must check out the serial number.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
That's interesting to know. He made my first custom bike when I was 18. Must check out the serial number.
Yeah there's not a lot of info about Ian May

Nothing wrong with most of the ones that carry his decals , but have seen some that I wouldn't want my name on ^_^

My own Ian May is not one of his as it features Italian threading and some areo profiled tubing but it rides fantastic and you don't see one very often

Last edited:
OP
OP
AliG

AliG

Ebay would give you the widest audience, but you'd have to pay the sellers fees plus possibly also deal with timewasters and idiots. You know, non-payers who win an auction or say they'll give you cash on collection but fail to show up.
A post in the vintage classifieds section on this forum or on the Retrobike forum would be targeted directly at the sort of person who would actually appreciate what the bike is and be specifically looking for one like it. If you're honest about the description and condition you are unlikely to have any problem with a forum buyer as they will know what they are buying and what sort of condition is realistic for a 35 year old machine.
Thank you for the candour and obvious experience you have and for the time and effort replying to me. I will of course give it the consideration you have suggested. Regards AliG

Top Bottom