Vintage junior bike upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wifflebat

Regular
hi all
I have rescued a Raleigh Module 3 from being dumped in the hope of getting it roadworthy for my 7yr old.
It needs stripped, cleaned and lubricated obviously (might even respray it if I can talk my dad into doing it for me!) but everything seems to be pretty much in order beyond that.

Has anyone done anything like this? Wheels and tyres seem to be a bit of a problem. I landed a set of Kenda 24x1" tyres for £1 from Halfords (thanks to a thread on here) but when cutting off the old tyres which were completely rotted, I found that the front axle was totally seized AND one of the threads was mangled. The rear has a sturmey archer 3 speed hub which needs a bit of attention. Frame wheel spacings are about 85-90mm at the front and 120mm at the rear which doesn't seem to be terribly standard for most (cheap!) 24" wheels.
I've seen this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/272589818399

Which has given me some hope that at least the tyres might fit (same as my Halfords buy) and also this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/371869569160

But he wasn't able to tell me what widththe axles were when I asked him a few weeks back on the same item.

Sorry for the waffling. I just know theres a great wee bike here somewhere!

OP
OP
W

wifflebat

Regular
Here's a crap pic too!

Attachments

• IMG_4835.JPG
    IMG_4835.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 67

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I shouldn't respray it, it looks fine as is. Those brake lever extensions need to go, or suicide levers as we call them. While you're there get a decent set of brake pads that work in the rain on steel rims, or even just work, can't remember the name of the best ones but I'm sure someone will help out. Otherwise your boy will be in for a nasty shock.
I should get your LBS to lace a new hub on the front and likely the rear will also need truing while you're about it. Check the head bearings by holding the front brake on and pushing the bars to and fro. Similarly check the BB by wiggling the cranks, slight play is OK. New cables and you should be ready to go. You should also see if the seat post is free.
Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wifflebat

Regular
Thanks for all the advice. I got a proper look at the wheels and drive train at the weekend and really didn't like the state of what I saw. Chainring bent, seat post seized and steering post was what I can only describe as 'lumpy'. Wheels are alsona complete state. I hadn't given up though... but then I saw this on gumtree 10 miles away for £30. Quite high spec for a kids bike and good, solid wheels which will take the 50p tyres. All it needs is a new chain, tyres and bar tape!
A friend has a sturmey archer expert work colleague so he's gonna take the Raleigh off my hands for his son who is only 2 so plenty of time to get it sorted!

Thanks again!

Top Bottom