Vintage Lawnmowers, Stationary Engines, and olde Mechanical Tech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I remember being asked to repair a lawn mower engine, needed new bearing etc, and when I presented the bill, I was told he could get a new engine for less.

Mainly worked on tractor mounted, back in late 70's, today I watch them drive the tractor on to a railway wagon and this
1622420988913.png

is how it is used. Tyres last for years.

plantfit

Guru
Is that a Lister D in the background?
No, it's a diesel ST1 of 1960 vintage, it used to run a beet cleaner until it died but after a bit of work I managed to bring it back to life, the trolley I made myself specifically for an ST1, I do have a Lister D reverse rotation (from 1950) that used to run a farm elevator, again completely dead when I got it but it runs sweet as a nut now, I sometime run them both together and with them running at 800 rpm each they make a lovely sound, the Suffolk Iron Foundry runs at 2500 rpm

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Each year there's an engine rally near me - the Thousand Engine rally, where all sorts of machinery turn up, stationary engines, classic cars, motorbikes, milk churners, wurlitzers etc. In the days leading up to the show you regularly come across a traction engine being driven on the road to get to it. It's a great day out. Here are some photos I've taken over the years.

A fine selection of chainsaws

Imagine your milk being delivered on this.

Don't tell Greta!

I love the versatility of stationary engines, you see them rigged up to all manner of things, waterpumps, logging saws, sheep shearing things, threshers, the list is endless.

Tail End Charlie

In a similar vein, there's the"Festival of Light" held at Ashover in Derbyshire. All sorts of lamps there, my favourites are the old pressured paraffin lamps, Tilley, Bialaddin etc. In the evening they are all lit up and it's magical!
Here's an indication of the type of thing on show, I think they are works of art.

One year a chap had his Rolls Royce Merlin engine there (as you do doesn't everyone have one in their garage?) and which he fired up, what a sound!

I have a few lamps and enjoy fettling them up. I've got around 20 lamps and my intention is to get as many up running as I can, great for BBQs etc, very atmospheric. I've got four running at the moment, but even the ones which are too far gone can be made into none working pieces of interest. The floodlight is something I've been after for a while and one came up locally so I snaffled it up.
From this

To this

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Well done one and all for saving all this great kit. Wonder what forums of the future will be peering at? “Does anyone have a robotic mower from the early 21st century? I like the way their motors hum...”. Cant see it somehow.

I have an oily collection of every chainsaw I’ve ever owned from 1991 to the present day. Around forty machines, some very big, some tiny. Some that caught fire while felling big trees on hot days - yes, that was a fault with Johnsered machines, and I kept them to remind me. One or two crushed by forwarders. One is entirely flattened to a two inch slab, backed over on a stump by me, on a tracked Drott. But thirty or so still working.

When time allows, I give myself the rare and orgiastic treat of lighting up the big Stihl 088, bought from a chap in Wantage who did a lot of clearing work in the eighties storms. I fire it up, which takes Dragoesque arms, and give it half a tank at half bore, then run it through some firewood at full tilt. It runs a four foot bar, which when on 14000 rpm is throwing chain at the tip at about 180 mph. For an engine that doesnt propel you, it really propels you.

Or pull the Husqvarna 3210 into life alongside, and compare the German gutteral glug against the Swedish sing-song whine. Its like listening to a Bach cello work, only far more beautiful. The Husky is bored out to around 126 cc from 121 or nearly 9 horse power, and will run a meagre 42 inch bar.

Latest power saw i got cannot be tuned with a screwdriver. Has to be taken in to the Muppet Show - my nearest agricultural dealers now the good saw lads are all closed down, and put on a black box. They know nothing about the machines workings - a bloke in Sweden gets the data and presses some buttons. You wait to hear the news, like waiting at the vets. It’s either okay or new carb £200 please. Progress is bonkers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Carbide lamp great to warm your hands with.

I never liked the naked flame near the rope I was abseiling on ! But as you say, they did give warmth and even companionship when sat around freezing your bollocks off waiting your turn on the rope; less companionable when they played up and wouldn't light though

Tail End Charlie

We need pictures Drago. They are really easy to work on and spares are still plentiful. Should give you lots of happy fettling time.

The Anson Engine museum in Poynton Cheshire is also a great day out. Loads of interesting machines, some of which get fired up each day. Fascinating to follow the development of machines, I was particularly struck by the 6 stroke engine, which was made to get round the patent on the diesel as the info card shows. There was also an engine from a WW1 tank which I believe they have now got running.

I think this was the 6 stroke engine.

And the info board explaining the reasoning behind it.

I think it's fascinating the way that sometimes engineers/ inventors go down technological dead ends, in cycling there's the development of the penny farthing before the safety bicycle was developed.

Tail End Charlie

Well done one and all for saving all this great kit. Wonder what forums of the future will be peering at? “Does anyone have a robotic mower from the early 21st century? I like the way their motors hum...”. Cant see it somehow.

I have an oily collection of every chainsaw I’ve ever owned from 1991 to the present day. Around forty machines, some very big, some tiny. Some that caught fire while felling big trees on hot days - yes, that was a fault with Johnsered machines, and I kept them to remind me. One or two crushed by forwarders. One is entirely flattened to a two inch slab, backed over on a stump by me, on a tracked Drott. But thirty or so still working.

When time allows, I give myself the rare and orgiastic treat of lighting up the big Stihl 088, bought from a chap in Wantage who did a lot of clearing work in the eighties storms. I fire it up, which takes Dragoesque arms, and give it half a tank at half bore, then run it through some firewood at full tilt. It runs a four foot bar, which when on 14000 rpm is throwing chain at the tip at about 180 mph. For an engine that doesnt propel you, it really propels you.

Or pull the Husqvarna 3210 into life alongside, and compare the German gutteral glug against the Swedish sing-song whine. Its like listening to a Bach cello work, only far more beautiful. The Husky is bored out to around 126 cc from 121 or nearly 9 horse power, and will run a meagre 42 inch bar.

Latest power saw i got cannot be tuned with a screwdriver. Has to be taken in to the Muppet Show - my nearest agricultural dealers now the good saw lads are all closed down, and put on a black box. They know nothing about the machines workings - a bloke in Sweden gets the data and presses some buttons. You wait to hear the news, like waiting at the vets. It’s either okay or new carb £200 please. Progress is bonkers.
40!! Wow, you must win something on here for that.

Top Bottom