vintage or neglected

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heigue'r

Veteran
Came accross this yesterday, looks pretty old or neglected, very very neglected ^_^
20150224_142656.jpg

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
Ok so the rear mudguard has rusted away but the rest of the frame doesn't look that bad. If the handlebars and seat stem move it's definitely salvageable.

Tony Raynor

Need for steeds
I reckon it's late 50s early 60s. I'm guessing the brake cables have nipples at both ends. Reminds me of some I took off a 63 triumph. Plus the lugs are very simple but look sturdy. Can't remember which way round it was if it was plain then fish tailed or vice versa with age.

Another potential sign of age is number of spokes in the wheels. Usually older style had 32/40 front rear and then moved to 36/36. Most 70s bikes I've passed my eyes over have had 36/36 but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Last thing niggling me and I can't remember where I've seen it but by the 70s most saddles lost the eyelets for tool bags but I could be making this one up.

If your lucky there may be a date on the rear hub depending on the make. Don't reckon there will be much on anything else.

Is there any headbadge or other decals to maybe brand it with. If there is a guy on a bike on the calipers or chainring then it will be a Raleigh or one of its many subsidiaries.

OP
OP
H

Heigue'r

Veteran
I will have a look later today, not sure what is happening with it, I myself would not have any interest in it but if the owner wants to chuck it out it may be of interest to somebody here.someone may allready have tabs on it

tyred

Legendary Member
50s most probably and definitely savable.

Can't see things well enough to try to identify brand. Decent quality but basic machine in it's day and probably rides much better than you think it might.

U

User42423

Not that old, judging by the caliper-style brakes. If it was properly old, it would have rods.

Sadly, this is not always the case. Most (if not all) cycle companies had a range of sports bikes in their catalogue. If I were to hazard a guess at date, I would say late 30s or early 40s.

U

User42423

I reckon it's late 50s early 60s. I'm guessing the brake cables have nipples at both ends. Reminds me of some I took off a 63 triumph. Plus the lugs are very simple but look sturdy. Can't remember which way round it was if it was plain then fish tailed or vice versa with age.

Another potential sign of age is number of spokes in the wheels. Usually older style had 32/40 front rear and then moved to 36/36. Most 70s bikes I've passed my eyes over have had 36/36 but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Last thing niggling me and I can't remember where I've seen it but by the 70s most saddles lost the eyelets for tool bags but I could be making this one up.

If your lucky there may be a date on the rear hub depending on the make. Don't reckon there will be much on anything else.

Is there any headbadge or other decals to maybe brand it with. If there is a guy on a bike on the calipers or chainring then it will be a Raleigh or one of its many subsidiaries.

Fish-tail lugs were earlier than plain (1920/30s I think)

Top Bottom