Vintage Reynolds 531 frame: to get it or not get it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

enas

Über Member
Hi,

Sorry for this unoriginal thread. I'm looking at this ad, and considering very seriously making an offer on it. I was wondering what's the opinion of the gurus here about it. For me, it looks very interesting: superb frame, nice components, and looks in very good condition, judging from the photo alone. What would you consider a reasonable price for it?

Thanks for your insights!

fossala

Guru
I picked up an '83 531c bike weighing the same with campag and sr custom groupset 100gbp off ebay.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Hi,

Sorry for this unoriginal thread. I'm looking at this ad, and considering very seriously making an offer on it. I was wondering what's the opinion of the gurus here about it. For me, it looks very interesting: superb frame, nice components, and looks in very good condition, judging from the photo alone. What would you consider a reasonable price for it?

Thanks for your insights!

It depends what you want to do with it. This one, from the picture, looks in good condition. It there is rust on it then it would be too expensive.

I have a Ralleight with Reynols 531 frame which I modernised a bit and this bike is superbly comfortable. I had a few people telling me not to invest any money on it as it was an old frame, blah, blah. They couldn't be more wrong. If you are after a comfortable ride then invest a little money on a good 351 frame, on the other hand, if you are after a "modern" fashion statement then look elsewhere. The thing you have to consider, if you want to modernise it, you are after a good frame the rest it's not good to you. Although, I must say I got pretty good money on ebay for the parts I sold as "vintage". Still, you are better off with just a good frame. If you just want to ride it as it is then that one doesn't look too bad. On ebay you can get some real gems but mostly cr4p. 531 frames have become a popular option to build single speed bikes and some times the prices for these bikes on ebay are crazy.

Good luck.

OP
OP
E

enas

Über Member
It depends what you want to do with it. This one, from the picture, looks in good condition.

Wow, thanks for this reply. Regarding the price, it can be bargained down. Rarely sellers get their asking price on this website. I don't have, at the moment, that money anyway. That's why I was enquiring about what a proper price could be. But thanks again!

pubrunner

Legendary Member
. . . . . . . A frame and fork for this bike in the add, same size, should weight 1.8kg if it is less then the forks are also 531 or the bike is better than a 531 (unlikely) and if it's over the chances are that it's not a 531 after all.

IMO, you are a little 'out' on your weights. I've a 753 frame that weighs 1750gms (not inc. forks). It'd be an exceptionally light 531 frame that'd weigh 1800 gms (531P ?) and then you'd have to add on about 750 - 800gms for 531 forks.

For a comparison of steel frame weights, look here . . . . . . .

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/reynolds/006reynolds80brochure.htm

I reckon, that for 531, you'd be looking at 2.9 - 3kg (with fork, headset and BB).

In a sense though, I'm not sure weight is so important . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . I have a Raleigh with Reynolds 531 frame which I modernised a bit and this bike is superbly comfortable

^^^ Yes, I've done likewise and I entirely agree. I've 3 steel frames to which I've added more modern brakes/wheels; since I don't compete, I see little point in spending ££££s to buy a Ti or carbon bike.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
IMO, you are a little 'out' on your weights. I've a 753 frame that weighs 1750gms (not inc. forks). It'd be an exceptionally light 531 frame that'd weigh 1800 gms (531P ?) and then you'd have to add on about 750 - 800gms for 531 forks.

For a comparison of steel frame weights, look here . . . . . . .

http://www.equusbicycle.com/bike/reynolds/006reynolds80brochure.htm

I reckon, that for 531, you'd be looking at 2.9 - 3kg (with fork, headset and BB).

In a sense though, I'm not sure weight is so important . . . . . . .

^^^ Yes, I've done likewise and I entirely agree. I've 3 steel frames to which I've added more modern brakes/wheels; since I don't compete, I see little point in spending ££££s to buy a Ti or carbon bike.

Yes, I made a mistake there come to think about it :blush: 1.8kg for the frame and I think it was either 600g or 800g for the forks.

I have 3 of these frames and the weights are consistent. I'm also sure they are genuine 531, one of which I bought brand new as a complete bike many many moons ago ^_^

EDIT: Just read the page you linked - thanks for that, I've never seen that. I don't see why theu would get the weights wrong so I have to assume my scales were wrong. I happen to use the same scales to weight all three frames. I will get new scales as I'm very curious now to find out the true weight. ^_^

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I agree with Pubrunner. A 531 doubled butted throughout set of frame/forks I have owned for over 30 years from new weighs 2.5kg for just the frame and 0.8kg for the forks. It is a 25" frame though so should be near if not at the upper limit in terms of weight for such tubes. The frame exceeds the Reynolds tube set weight presumably because the latter would not have included the paint, primer, lugs, dropouts and silicon-bronze for brazing etc.

The amazing springiness and feel on the road can only be experienced, not described. :thumbsup:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
The amazing springiness and feel on the road can only be experienced, not described. :thumbsup:

^^^ Indeed !

I did once consider buying a carbon fibre steed; however, for the same money, I realised that I could buy a dozen steel frames. ^_^

Okay, I don't have a dozen . . . yet ! . . . but I'm working on it. :whistle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
looks nice but a bit pricey imho

more like £250 area

OP
OP
E

enas

Über Member
Thanks for all your responses. It is a nice bike, and it presents the advantage that (seemingly) it doesn't require to much restoration. The ad doesn't seem to attract too much attention, so I'll make an offer along your suggestions. I'll keep you updated. Cheers!

Dan B

Disengaged member
If its a 531 frame for pitys sake keep gears on it,dont let sme butcher fixie it
I both agree and disagree with this. Certainly don't let anyone start removing the fittings and braze-ons, but I'm sure it was not uncommon on a bike of that age to run it fixed during the winter months and put the gears back on in spring. Do whatever floats your boat.

Top Bottom