Vintage Stronglight/TA triple chainset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kit-small-wheels

I've got various bits of Stronglight and TA rings,adaptors, cranks and bolts etc, all of which are not exactly in the first flush of youth. I'd like to build a triple set with the bits but I don't know what parts I'm missing, or even if it's possible. The main components I have are below, and yes I know the main ring is BIG (60 T) but it's going on a Moulton 'F' frame bike hopefully.

So, the questions are a) Is it possible to make a triple out of this lot and :biggrin: what do I need to do it. Plus c) anyone know where I could get such bits if they exist please?

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm out of my depth here, but the first thing that stikes me is you've a 60T and what looks like a 46.
The PCD won't allow you to go smaller than 46 will it ? The 46's mounting holes are virtually on the outer circumference of the ring, so surely, you can't go smaller.
I assume you're not looking for something between the 60 and 46 ?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
OP
OP
K

kit-small-wheels

Gbb,

Almost, it's a 44T actually, and as you say I doubt I'd be able to get anything smaller on that bolt PCD. I was thinking of about 50T or so as a middle ring.

Andrew,

The outer ring is a TA Cyclotouriste, yes. It says so in very faint letters, but you need a magnifying glass to read them! And the cranks do seem to be Stronglight 49Ds, or they look just like them anyway. Sadly the foil labels that used to be stuck in the grooves dried up and fell off.

Thanks for the links, it looks as if I'd need to get a whole new set of rings to make a triple, and not use the spider at all. That's exactly the sort of info I needed. :sad:

I'll talk to the guys in Harrogate tomorrow, after a quick chat with my bank manager......... :sad:

NickM

Veteran
kit-small-wheels said:
...the cranks do seem to be Stronglight 49Ds, or they look just like them anyway. Sadly the foil labels that used to be stuck in the grooves dried up and fell off.
Thet are TA Cyclotourist then (the Stronglight 49Ds, which were nicer, had their name stamped into the place where your label once went). I think you have what is called an "adaptor" chainset.

Likeliest source of NOS TA/Stronglight bits is JD Whisker of Goffs Oak, Herts (no Web presence, but a bit of a goldmine for NOS stuff). They have a small ad in the back of the Comic every week.

However, be warned that a triple built up with these cranks won't shift very well. They don't allow enough room for a modern, sculpted triple mech to swing as far as it wants to before hitting the inner face of the crank. There is also the matter of running the chain very close to the road, with all its muck, if you put a triple on a 16"-wheeled Moulton. A wide-ish-range double might be preferable - something like 60-44?

Alternatively, a Mavic triple mech is the one type which is rumoured to work well... good luck finding one of those!

OP
OP
K

kit-small-wheels

NickM said:
However, be warned that a triple built up with these cranks won't shift very well. They don't allow enough room for a modern, sculpted triple mech to swing as far as it wants to before hitting the inner face of the crank. There is also the matter of running the chain very close to the road, with all its muck, if you put a triple on a 16"-wheeled Moulton. A wide-ish-range double might be preferable - something like 60-44?

I've been riding Moultons with large rings for umpteen years now, my Speedsix had a 60T single ring for ages and I didn't have too much problem with road dirt, but then I don't do that many miles anyway. I'm planning to use a 1970s Huret Alvit braze-on front mech, and it seems to have enough throw to shift across three rings. The word 'modern' and any of my bikes don't go well together..... :biggrin:

After grafting over a hot gear table for ages it looks like my optimum front set would be 56-46-36, to go with the only 7 speed cassette I have at the moment.

Time will tell as the only way to try this is to do it.

OP
OP
K

kit-small-wheels

kit-small-wheels said:
I'll talk to the guys in Harrogate tomorrow, after a quick chat with my bank manager......... :biggrin:

Andrew,

Well I did eventually manage to talk to the guys at Spa and what a helpful bunch they are, apart from their invoicing dept. that is. :biggrin:

They talked me through all the bits I'd need for my proposed triple, using the cranks I already have, and the result is a matched set of rings are en route to me as I write. :smile:

However, after telling me the price of a set of triple bolts was £12.50, they then phoned back and told me the invoicing dept. had said the current price was £30.00 due to 'market forces'!!! Just a small matter of a 240% price increase, for goodness sake.

The guy I first spoke to told me they were buying in new sets of double chain ring bolts from Cherry at £22.00 a time, but found it cheaper to grind down sets of triples. That tells me we are being ripped off by the accountants there, but what else can I do? Superglue the rings together I suppose.....

OP
OP
K

kit-small-wheels

Samid,

Too late I'm afraid, the stuff is already in transit.

By the time they were shipped across the Atlantic, plus the freight charges and the duty and VAT (which is levied on all the charges added up!) I expect it would come to around the same price though.

OP
OP
K

kit-small-wheels

The TA rings and bolts from Spa arrived today. :tongue:

I'm like a kid with a new toy, they look amazing all bolted up onto the cranks, like a piece of mechanical jewellery. Ever since I was about 15 I've wanted a TA triple and now I have one, woweee! :tongue:

Thanks for the pointers and help guys, I'm very grateful.

Top Bottom