Vintage Triumph 'Palm Beach' wheel issue...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jay252

Hi,

I hope you can help. I have a vintage Triumph 'Palm Beach' 3 speed (Sturmey Archer) bike that I'm fixing up. Thing is, I bought two new tires, (650 x 35A - 26 x 1 3/8) and the front is fine, fits perfectly but the tires are (tried both) too big for the rear wheel? Can someone recommend a slightly smaller tire that might work?? I tried my local bike store but they were unable to help? I can supply pics if need be,

Thanks, Jay

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How much too big are they? 650A is 37-590 and there are 40-584 (aka 650B - 6mm smaller diameter) and 40-571 (650C - 19mm smaller) shown on https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/components/wheels-tyres/tyre-sizes that I think I've seen in some shops.

More simply, do the rims have any numbers stamped on them or do you have the old tyres?

I'm pretty sure it would have had 650A front and back originally. Could someone have put the wrong 26 inch wheel in the rear as a replacement?

OP
OP
J

jay252

How much too big are they? 650A is 37-590 and there are 40-584 (aka 650B - 6mm smaller diameter) and 40-571 (650C - 19mm smaller) shown on https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/components/wheels-tyres/tyre-sizes that I think I've seen in some shops.

More simply, do the rims have any numbers stamped on them or do you have the old tyres?

I'm pretty sure it would have had 650A front and back originally. Could someone have put the wrong 26 inch wheel in the rear as a replacement?

Thanks a mill for the response, much appreciated. The original tyres were the size that I purchased; this was a wreck of a bike when i got it by the way. I really want to re-use the wheel and have attached a pic just showing the size difference; it isn't much. Do you reckon than that a 650B tyre would be the answer?

Attachments

• Wheel.JPG
    Wheel.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 17
Top Bottom